Gary Borger videos on-line!

kmckiou

Gary Borger has uploaded his fly fishing videos to hook.tv:

Gary Borger Fly Fishing Videos

They were shot in the 1970s, but well made and, I'm sure they are still relevant. His video on nymphing is great. He collects samples from the river before he starts fishing. The food source of the trout becomes obvious in this video.

Until I noticed that the videos were uploaded by Gary Borger enterprises, I was concerned that this might be a copyright violation. Happy viewing!

- Kevin

Gary Borger has uploaded his fly fishing videos to hook.tv:

Gary Borger Fly Fishing Videos

They were shot in the 1970s, but well made and, I'm sure they are still relevant. His video on nymphing is great. He collects samples from the river before he starts fishing. The food source of the trout becomes obvious in this video.

Until I noticed that the videos were uploaded by Gary Borger enterprises, I was concerned that this might be a copyright violation. Happy viewing!

- Kevin

Thanks Kevin!

Those look like fishing outtakes from "A River Runs Through It." I believe Mr. Borger had a part in the production. Of course they are not outakes though they fill in things that are missing from "The Movie."

Guest One More Cast

Nice links, Kevin. Thnaks for posting it.

I believe Mr. Borger had a part in the production.

That was Jason Borger as the "Shadow Caster"....Gary's son.

http://www.jasonborger.com/shadowcasting.html

Jason did a brilliant job of illustrating Norman MacLean's words about the younger brother's cast. For those of you who have not read it, the novella A River Runs Through It is much better than the movie.

However, the Shadow Casting scene has ruined many a fly fishers approach to the water and made many, many casting instructor's lives more difficult.

Flyrodder, you wanna chime in on this one?

Joseph

However, the Shadow Casting scene has ruined many a fly fishers approach to the water and made many, many casting instructor's lives more difficult.

Joseph, Flyrodder - could you elaborate. I'd love to be able to keep the line in the air like Jason did in the movie. What's wrong with that?

- Kevin

Guest One More Cast

Good question and there is nothing "wrong" with being able to cast like that but it doesn't catch you more fish....it just attracts chicks. Take a look at Mrs. Jason Borger sometime. She turns my 3 weight into an 8 weight if you get my drift.

False casting is frought with peril. We make effective false casts for only three reasons:

1) To dry a water-logged fly

2) To change direction of the cast. Lets say you are fishing quartering upstream and drifting your fly downstream. At the end of the drift and you want to re-cast, you need to falsecast while rotating your shoulders back upstream. It's possible to make this as one change-of-direction cast but it's a chore if your timing is not exact.

3) Accuracy & gaining distance. Again, it's possible to pick up your line and make one backcast then soot all of your line but a false cast or two makes this more manageable.

Jason's Shadow Casting was indeed, breathtaking but every casting instructor who saw The Movie mumbled to himself "Put the d@mn fly on the water"

Joseph

Good question and there is nothing "wrong" with being able to cast like that but it doesn't catch you more fish....it just attracts chicks.

Call me a "starry eyed novice", but I've already come to the conclusion that fly fishing is not about catching fish - at least not in the beginning. It's about developing a fishing style. Of course, by the time I can shadow cast like Jason (if ever) I'll surely be embarrassed if I can't catch fish too. Right now I have my excuse and I'm sticking to it. I wasn't skunked this morning, I was just developing my style. Haven't developed any groupies yet. Guess I have a ways to go.

- Kevin

Guest One More Cast
I wasn't skunked this morning, I was just developing my style.

Please do not consider me one of your groupies (yet) but get real comfortable with the fact that this line has now been plagerized.

It will appear in every casting clinic I ever conduct.

Joseph

If pressed, I will give you a byline. ;)

...get real comfortable with the fact that this line has now been plagerized.

It will appear in every casting clinic I ever conduct.

If pressed, I will give you a byline. ;)

Glad I could contribute!

- Kevin