One Flyline

Mark K

The line on my 8 wt is getting ratty. I have only one spool for my reel, an old 3M System 2 78M. Been looking on Ebay for a spare. The rod is a Loomis GL3 8 Wt. The line will be used to throw bass bugs in lakes and ponds, it will throw clousers in the rivers for smallies and I'll fishing for steelhead and salmon in the tribs in winter. Basically I need a good generic floating line.

Oh yeah, I might overline it to a 9 wt. I'm willing to spend about 60 bucks if it's worth it.

Recommendations from the panel of experts.

The line on my 8 wt is getting ratty. I have only one spool for my reel, an old 3M System 2 78M. Been looking on Ebay for a spare. The rod is a Loomis GL3 8 Wt. The line will be used to throw bass bugs in lakes and ponds, it will throw clousers in the rivers for smallies and I'll fishing for steelhead and salmon in the tribs in winter. Basically I need a good generic floating line.

Oh yeah, I might overline it to a 9 wt. I'm willing to spend about 60 bucks if it's worth it.

Recommendations from the panel of experts.

Rio Clouser Line, That's what I was throwing yesterday...

Mark

Guest One More Cast

Clouser would be my vote as well. The larger diameter of the head on this line will be a challange when fishing in the tribs, though.

You will need to mend this line a lot as it will bow on you much quicker than a Steelhead line will. Not insurmountable, just something to be aware of.

Doubt that your GL3 would respond better to a 9wt line......come in and cast my Clouser 8wt on your rod before you invest in a new line.

Joseph

Clouser would be my vote as well. The larger diameter of the head on this line will be a challange when fishing in the tribs, though.

You will need to mend this line a lot as it will bow on you much quicker than a Steelhead line will. Not insurmountable, just something to be aware of.

Doubt that your GL3 would respond better to a 9wt line......come in and cast my Clouser 8wt on your rod before you invest in a new line.

Joseph

Good enough. I'm sold. If it says Clouser, it's got to be good.

why is that?

Joseph

Test casting, awesome! Can't do that from an online store!

Guest One More Cast

The current "catches" the larger diameter head of this line (larger than a normal 8 weight) and makes it bow; this causes the sub-surfaces flies to drag in an un-natural manner.

Mending (typically upstream) the line on the water reduces the sub-surface drag.

Joseph

The current "catches" the larger diameter head of this line (larger than a normal 8 weight) and makes it bow; this causes the sub-surfaces flies to drag in an un-natural manner.

Mending (typically upstream) the line on the water reduces the sub-surface drag.

Joseph

Joseph, If mending is an issue, I'd go with the SA redfish line (pale blue color). I have clouser lines, outbound line and the redfish. It may not carry as large a fly as a clouser (but can throw a fodder) can but it casts a mile and mends very well. Used it on the Mississippi River for smallies. Did alot of dead drifting with it. I also came apon the fact that in heavy water, the outbound line with its thin running line was easier to cast (wading) than either of the other two lines due to the fact that the running line did not catch the current as much making you have to drag the line back upstream before you could shoot it. Just my two cents.

Guest One More Cast

Here is where we differ: if I needed to dedicate one line for Steelheading, I would want one that had a longer belly. S.A.'s Steelhead line is my prefference. If I had funds enough for only one 8 weight line, it would be a Clouser.

Joseph

....who has all of the lines he needs but nowhere near the lines that he wants......

Guest rich mc

for a little more money one could get a "wallet system" then with a floating tip, slow sink, fast sink section on a running line he would be ready for most situations . rich

I like these Versi-tips:

http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?fmCategory=10

Joseph

I have 2 versi-tip lines and they're great as long as you have a rod with saltwater guides on it so the loops don't hang up. This is starting to sound like buying a boat. No one boat is good for every situation so you really need five to cover everything. I think the original poster needs to buy more fly lines. If you fish for multiple species under different water conditions and add under different temperatures 3 out of 4 times you'll be dissappointed with your one line.

Guest One More Cast

Yeah, the stripping guide and the tip top are larger on a saltwater rod.

Just my opinion, but most rod manufacturers undersize their hardware for purely cosmetic reasons. The rods look better in catalogues and on the racks in the Shops with smaller stripping guides.

Again, just my opinion.

Joseph

With the Clouser line, you need to mend a bit more, but its not a problem.

I like it on the tribs, because when you have to work with only a short amount of line out, the heavier head helps the heavy/bushy flies pull out of the water easier on the roll.

Mark

i never knew that saltwater rod guides are larger. rich

That's the reason I bought a Sage RPLXi 8 wt rod and a TFO TiCrX 9 Wt rod. They are both saltwater rods that have the larger guides and are designed with a butt section with enough guts to handle the big fish.

Most rods that I build, I oversize the guides for better casting and stripping. I won a rod from the TU raffle and had Clyde Alho build me a St. Croix Legend Elite 10' 6 wt. that I use for my pontoon boat and on big water where mending is more of an issue. I had him use oversized stripping guides and tip top. I am not at all disappointed I had him do that. It casts like a dream and gives me no problems with knot hangup.

FWIW

On the line issue... have any of you tried the Cortland Precision Pike Line. I just got one from the Cortland rep and can't wait to try it out. It's a bit odd in color. The front portion is a blood red color and the running line is chartreuse/fl. green.