ISA in the news!

jude

Looking through the inaugural edition of the Illinois Outdoor News that showed up in my mailbox today, I came across an article about smallie stocking at Kinkaid Lake. The article has several quotes from "Tim Smith, science officer for the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance". How cool is that?

Looking through the inaugural edition of the Illinois Outdoor News that showed up in my mailbox today, I came across an article about smallie stocking at Kinkaid Lake. The article has several quotes from "Tim Smith, science officer for the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance". How cool is that?

Waay Coool!

What did I say!!?!?

"Tim Smith, science officer with the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance, said his group is spending its time and energy on the state's streams and rivers."

"Smallmouth are sparce south of the Lake Shelbyville spillway area in Illinois," Smith said. "In fact, quality river smallmouth populations in general are fragile in our state. It takes a long time to grow a trophy fish here."

Smith also stated, "That Jude Torre has one hell of a goatee."

The Illinois Smallmouth Alliance, a group founded in 1994 by anglers concerned about the state's smallmouth fishery, is in full support of the program.

"We've heard about the stocking at Kinkaid, though no one I know has fished the lake."

Ok...maybe one of the quotes is bogus, but the rest are real. You didn't come across TOO drunk. Good job, Tim.

Guest rich mc

you did good tim. i saw it at gander mtn today. its about half the sizeof outdoor notebook and will go to two issues a month in january. it was nice to see the title science director of the isa, made us look great . jim j should have a drink for that idea rich

If Jude had a" biblical beard "instead of a goatee he might be getting more of what he mentioned in the health thread . :P

Never has been, and never will be, anything "biblical" about me. ;)

I've been mulling how to handle this, and I'm still working on an exact response, but something probably needs to be made clear on this thread before all of that happens.

Rich put me in contact with this reporter who apparently wanted our comments on some program, although that wasn't clear to me at the time exactly what program the reporter was investigating. I sent him a brief e-mail about Lake Kinkaid (the one above that says our members don't usually fish there) and offered to talk to him on the phone. That 3 line email was what he quoted. We never spoke on the phone.

I did not say in that e-mail, however, that the ISA supports this program. There may have been a time that all stocking programs got a seal of approval from angling groups. Now that we know enough about the effects of stocking now to make that time is long, long gone.

I have been told by IDNR personnel that the fish for this program came from the hatchery (not native smallmouth stocks in the area). Additionally, fish escaping from Lake Kinkaid have been linked to reductions of native fish species in the watershed downstream.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin...=1&SRETRY=0

Those are not things the ISA officially endorses. In fact, we are specifically opposed to any management activity that shuffles local smallmouth genotypes (possibly locally adapted genotypes) or threatens native species. Check out Trent Thomas' program on the Kaskaksia for a positive example of a program that uses artificial propagation of smallmouth. Those are Kaskaksia fish going back into the Kaskaksia because the native habitat has been impaired. Trent's doing it the right way.

This is probably an item that deserves some discussion here. I'm still deciding how to respond to Outdoor Illinois.

While you're at it Tim, be sure to ask them to state in their retraction that we are also opposed to putting rainbows in IL rivers and streams.

That will get people talking for sure.

This is all common sense stuff, gang.

Policy vs. sound science.

The right way doesn't always win out in the end, unfortunately.