Rut-Roh

Jim Kast

Saw a few rubs out by the Apple on Saturday as well. Unfortunately, that was about all we saw!

Steve J, Steve S and I visited the Apple river this past Saturday. I'd say we "fished it" but that may get folks believing that fish were actually caught ;) We didn't get skunked but the striped mammal was honing in on Steve S and me. Steve J caught 6 or so smallies and a rainbow trout. The bluffs and fall colors were beautiful (there goes the wannabee outdoor writer again..HA). Water temps were in the low fifties and the flow had just come down from 1500 cubic feet per second to 300 in the 48 hours prior to our visit. OK, enough execuses...now to the funny stuff!

As we made our way past the parking lot and towards the river we saw a lady talking photos of the bluffs. I spoke up and said "hey, would like to take a photo of three good looking guys with those bluffs in the background?". She very quickly replied "sure, do you know of any?"

Ouch!

The bluffs and fall colors were beautiful (there goes the wannabee outdoor writer again..HA).

Wannabee wasn't the word I was looking for in that other post. Cliche was. You are going to have to work either a heron or an owl somewhere in there. I was impressed that you and Norm hit me with both :blink: the one-two punch. :blink: OUCH Those two birds seem to be attracted to midwestern outdoor writers. A kingfisher occasionally makes it in and I have to admit, I am enomoured with the Kankakee River osprey. If you are far enough up north, it's the ultimate cliche bird...the loon. Pretend you are writing for Gray's Sporting Journal, only on a budget.

Go for something different, if it's going to be a heron make it a green back. Better yet work a cedar waxwing in there or a flicker. I got it... Scarlet Tananger!

Ahhh..the crisp fall air... a heron drifted lazily across the horizon..... :lol::lol::lol:

HA! Not sure if you've been up to the Apple...the beauty can not be described in mere words by this mortal ;)

Oh, and we did see one of dem der blue herons (a graceful and stealth-like fish hunter that has the most alarming "sqwauck" sound when disturbed) and one of dem der ospreys ;)

I like cliche better than wannabee.

Don, imagine if that was your first & only impression of the fishing on the Apple. Timing is (almost) everything. Small rivers & creeks cool down quickly & those canyons keep the sun from heating it back up. At least you weren't guiding that day.

I've had simliar days on other rivers (luckily they are very few and far between!). For some reason those "off" days don't seem to always make it into a report ;) Looking at the photo above I'd say we had a pretty darn good catch for the day. B)

With the sun so very low in the horizon it only adds to the lack of warming in the canyon rivers. Did I just type "adds to the lack"?

HA! Not sure if you've been up to the Apple...the beauty can not be described in mere words by this mortal ;)

Most C.O.W.s (Cliche Outdoor Writers) would use the word "magical".

I like cliche better than wannabee.

Mark my words. You'll be in the Outdoor Notebook before 2008 is over.

Just don't lay it on too thick. :P

Most C.O.W.s (Cliche Outdoor Writers) would use the word "magical".

Mark my words. You'll be in the Outdoor Notebook before 2008 is over.

Just don't lay it on too thick. :P

C.O.W.s...like it. It's all been said or done before. That's why a new song occasionally sounds a bit like another older song. The same goes for outdoors writing. It may be loaded with cliches but hopefully it at least has some sort of fresh perspective.

I've been in Outdoor Notebook. Unfortunately I was wearing dark glasses. Fortunately I was holding a couple decent smallies and a pig largemouth from the Fox. It was magical. Thankfully those days are behind me now. ;)

Do they have a "Most Wanted!" section? :P