Olympus Stylus 790 SW

Steve S.

I had been in the market for a new "fishing" camera this year. I recently purchased The Olympus Stylus 790 SW and thus far, have been happy with the results.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/...sp?product=1314

Tim N. introduced me to the 770 SW, a neat little camera which took some really nice shots. The 790 SW was just released this Fall '07, so my hope hope is that this new model has the "latest and greatest". The controls are simple and intuitive, though as with any camera, it will take some time and experimentation to get familiar with them. I also bought a floating strap, should the camera take a swim.

Here is a shot I took underwater yesterday while on a short, solo wade:

mipcw8.jpg

I have to admit, I was a bit freaked out to dunk my camera! I don't know that I will regularly use it for underwater photography, but it is nice to know it will survive a dunking. Here are a few other shots:

jua24j.jpg

2mcbp1h.jpg

20799oi.jpg

:lol:

At least the photo proves he owns more than one shirt....

Same shirt....covered up by "goose poop" colored fleece....that's the color my daughter says it is :lol:

Hey you Illinois boys turned cheeseheads, leave me a few of those Wisconsin smallies. I plan to catch some in 08........if there are any left. :P

Don't fret; there is over 400 miles of river to explore! ;)

Hey you Illinois boys turned cheeseheads, leave me a few of those Wisconsin smallies. I plan to catch some in 08........if there are any left. :P

Ya, hey der. We hope to join ya, ya know.

• 1 month later...

Steve,

I'm looking for two waterproof cameras. One to mount on the bow of my yak/canoe. Another to have in hand.

I'll check out your model.

Thanks for the review!

Steve,

I looked at the Olympus and other digital camera options. Reviews have me looking at your $300 olympus or get fully functioning covers at 1/2 the price for my existing cameras.

I've decide to by the waterproof covers for my two Canon cameras. With function depths over 100 ft

I can use the to take photo of underwater structures for future angler programs. Sdenery above the brink and the trophies of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from a trip that I had a chance to use my 770SW under water and could not be happier with the results.

The one problem I had, and it was my mistake, I didn’t put a full charge on the battery. When you’re in the water it’s hard to tell if you’re getting the shot, so you’re inclined to shot a lot and weed out the bad ones later. I ran out of battery life in the process, so charge it up before you head out.

6keg6ty.jpg8677orn.jpg

7x8mete.jpg82jgas6.jpg

6uj945x.jpg6l97s42.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it has a timer and a tripod mount.

If you have any other questions, go to the link I posted, it should detail all the options. I have not used the movie clip feature yet. I'm still rather new to the camera, having used only the basic functions. The camera has a multitude of preset functions for different scenarios. It does not have a powerful zoom, but I can live with that, as I have other cameras.

Waterproof cases are available for some Fuji cameras such as Finepix a400 or a500 good to a 10' depth. I purchased the 4m.p. a400 on sale for about $90 and got the $70 case gratis! Am pleased with the picture quality etc. and the case has already saved the camera a cupl times when I flopped in the river. I usually fish alone and take pix holding fish with the timer by putting the camera either flat on the ground or propped at a 45 degree angle against a rock. Bending at the waist makes it look pretty much as if the pic were taken by another.

Thanks, Steve. I had combed the specs online and not found those 2 items...although everything else was pretty impressive.

I've looked at some of the camera covers, too Ron. With the cover, this thing is waterproof down to 100 feet (although that's not going to matter to me any time soon).

...and they're advertising the 770 SW as waterproof to 33 feet with motion reduction now so I think I'm going to get that one instead of the 790 (which is only water proof to 10).

Great job capturing those shots, Tim N.

Can I assume you zoomed on the stingray?

After the Steve Irwin incident, I'd be swimming as fast as I could in the other direction on sight....LOL

I've scuba dived off Acapulco, Mexico a few times and had a bad experience with an octopus.

Haven't dived since.

Thanks, Steve. I had combed the specs online and not found those 2 items...although everything else was pretty impressive.

I've looked at some of the camera covers, too Ron. With the cover, this thing is waterproof down to 100 feet (although that's not going to matter to me any time soon).

...and they're advertising the 770 SW as waterproof to 33 feet with motion reduction now so I think I'm going to get that one instead of the 790 (which is only water proof to 10).

Tim

I double-checked the specs on the camera to confirm the self-timer, since I never use it, and it does have one.

I bought a floating strap for the camera, which will keep it on top should it slip into the river someday. It's only slightly bulky but gives me additional peace of mind when fumbling around on the water.

I did not go the camera cover route because I thought it would add additional bulk to the camera and possibly be more difficult to handle the controls for a guy who can be all thumbs at times. The Olympus is nice and compact and slips easily into a little pocket in my wading bag. I'm really happy I bought it.