Movie buffs...listing movies with fishing in it

Teedee

On Tuesday I was flipping thru the Tele and came across one of my favorite movies that happened to relate in the story line, river fishing. This movie was made in 1992 and had Brad Pitt in one of his first big movies.....A River Runs Through It. I know there are many more movies out there that have something related in the story of side stories that have or mention fishing in it. Go ahead and see how many we can come up with and see what our count can actually come too. Let the fun begin!!!!

Office Space, Lord of the Rings, there was one with danny glover and Joe Pesci, it wasn't very good as I remember.

That was "Gone Fishin." It had a cameo by Willie Nelson.

Add:

Old Man and the Sea

Moby Dick

These two and the Jaws series are the best man vs fish movies IMHO. Most of the others use fishing as a backdrop for other conflicts just as Deerhunter is not about hunting deer.

Though it is not about fishing, for real entertainment check "Escanaba in Da Moonlight." We need a fishing movie like that.

Awesome responses so far....forgot there were so many. Hate to do this but we do have a Jerry Lewis sighting...Hook,Line and Sinker.

Mark,

As for the book, I will definetly have to get that and read it....need to see how it compares to the movie...River Runs Through It.

Guest rich mc

one of my favorites was Rayme old film about a boy who wanted to catch a barracuda and did . i got the rivers runs video for a xmas gift. only 5 good minutes in the whole film . afew fishing and the final ending .

i got the rivers runs video for a xmas gift. only 5 good minutes in the whole film . afew fishing and the final ending .

If you wrote a movie script just about fishing, it probably would be lame. Back in the 80's "Breaking Away" got me and a freind into cycling and bike racing. It had very little to do with cycling, though it made the sport seem so appealing. It was the characters, the script and the whole package.

I thought a "River Runs Through It" was a good film. It would not however get me into flyfishing. The book is just better, it might. I can't think of any thing I disliked about it. It just wasn't great.

Brad Pitt is great in just about everything he does, my favorite roles of his being in Kalifornia and 12 Monkees. I think he is one of my all time favorite actors. Jason Borger is the stunt flycaster, in case you didn't know.

Rich-read the book.

I also thought of an old Rock Hudson movie called 'Man's Favorite Sport". Something like that. He plays a tackle rep that is totally ignorent to fishing (there is a Cabelas joke somewhere in there). His boss sends him out to a resort to enter a tournament and he has some hot babe teach him how to fish. Stuff people found highly humorous in he 60's I guess. I watched the whole thing, it was humorous in it's lameness and knowing what we now know about Rock...

The Blair Witch Project might be the scariest movie I have ever seen. There is a scene where they happen upon two anglers on a stream, I forget the circumstances but I remember everything in that movie being very realistic. Honestly, it scared the crap out of me.

I mentioned Boys in the Hood. Good scene at the beginning with Lawrence Fishburne and the kid that plays his son, fishing out on a break wall somewhere. Really good flick.

someone at my work brought up the following titles as having fishing related scenes, I haven't seen them:

Crocodile Dundee

The Magnificent Seven

The Quiet Man

The last two are on my list, though I'm not a big John Wayne fan.

The Blair Witch Project might be the scariest movie I have ever seen. There is a scene where they happen upon two anglers on a stream, I forget the circumstances but I remember everything in that movie being very realistic. Honestly, it scared the crap out of me.

That was an interesting movie and there was a fishing scene there. I remember the anglers standing in the middle of a long shallow riffle with bedrock under it in a big gradient drop with rods holding...what was it...rattletraps? I remember their gear choice just screamed "THE DIRECTORS DON'T FISH."

Another fishing movie was Waterworld, where Kevin Costner tows himself as bait behind his boat to catch seamonsters.

The Quite Man from 1952. Stared John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. The parish priest (Father Peter Lonergan) was fly fishing in the river while Maureen O'Hara (Mary Kate Danaher) was explaining the problems she was having with her new husband (Sean Thornton) to him in the Galic language no less. I have always wondered exactly what she was telling him. Since I don't speak the Galic language or know anyone who does, i guess I'll never find out.

Not really a fishing scene but funny nonetheless-

Clark Griswold: Where the hell is the damn dam tour?

Hoover Dam Guide: I am your dam guide, Arnie, please don't wander off the dam tour and please take all the dam pictures you want. Now are there any dam questions?

Cousin Eddie: Yeah, where can I get some damn bait?

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Jeremiah Johnson

Reindeer Games (ice fishing, I believe)

This thread has a life of its own with each entry confirming my opinion that Hollywood productions do little justice to fishing. Rather than Hi-Jack this thread, I am going to start another about videos strictly about fishing.