The Patron of Brown Bass

Last week my wife noticed that she had picked a good day to take our dog Mindy to the vet, Oct. 4, the feast of St Francis. Why would she remember that date? She attended a Franciscan College. In those good old days, the Franciscan staff celebrated the feast. Though she has long forgotten the droning lectures, she remembers the days off.

586.jpg

The brown robes make Francis a natural patron of the brown bass. But there is more. With a little Googling, I found out that Francis has been the patron of animals for 800 years and more recently he has been recognized as the patron of ecology. His appeal transcends religious lines as you are as likely to find his statue in gardens of Franciscan Convents as in gardens of Budhist Monistaries. You do not have to go to a religious store to get a statue of Francis since it is a popular item at garden centers.

Many Episcopal, Catholic, Lutheran, and Congregational churches have scheduled pet blessings coming up this Sunday.

Of course I do not recommend that you take a Smallmouth in for a blessing. (I think the saint is never shown holding a fish because he had the good sense to leave it in its proper element.) The Franciscans' "do it yourself" blessings are more appropriate. Next time you release one, try this instread of your standard juicy Jimmy Houston kiss.

Blessed are you, Lord God,

maker of all living creatures.

On the fifth and sixth days of creation,

you called forth fish in the sea,

birds in the air and animals on the land.

You inspired St. Francis to call all animals

his brothers and sisters.

We ask you to bless this animal.

By the power of your love,

enable it to live according to your plan.

May we always praise you

for all your beauty in creation.

Blessed are you, Lord our God, in all your creatures! Amen.

if you wan to read more: http://www.americancatholic.org/Features/Francis/