What to use fishing downstream with grass

johnk

For you spinning gear guys I was wondering lately what anglers have been using fishing downstream with all the grass floating lately? I usually start off fishing upstream and have had good luck fishing a jig off the bottom. Wading back downstream I have tried using a fluke but no luck. Has anyone had any success with a fluke lately? Just wondering...

Thanks,

John

Funny, I was just thinking about the fluke bite today when Eric mentioned how the fall bite will start happening soon.

I have done really well on flukes when the water cools in the fall.

I can't say I've had much other success but I throw them very very rarely so it's not a fair judgment.

Doesn't judgment have an e in it?

Also, I always fish upstream so the grass isn't as much of a problem for me as it is those disciples of the downstream/bubble line method.

John

I fished the Fluke "tex-posed" with a 4/0 weighted hook. Push the hook all the way through at a point that keeps the Fluke in a straight alignment. Then, back the bait slightly towards the head and let the tip of the hook imbed slightly under the plastic when it retracts. This way, the hook will penetrate easier when when you set, yet it rides relatively weedless. Downstream or cross-current retrieves worked best in grass, though when the topwater bite was on, a faster, upstream retrieve high over the weeds proved deadly.

Thanks for the replies as they are greatly appreciated. I have fished flukes in the past few years with good success. Let me try and rephase my question.

I fish upstream 90% of the time as this is my preference. On some occasions when I have to walk downstream to get back to the car I throw a fluke. I was wondering what else I can throw when the fluke bite isn't on?

Any idea's?

Come on Don R throw me a bone.

Thanks!

You can throw a salted stick bait (senko,sticko,yum dinger,etc.) but instead of throwing it weightless as you may do upstream....hook it weedless on a slider head (experiment with different weights depending on current and depth)

But whatever you do....do not use a chartreuse/pumpkin case helgie rigged weedless. I've been told that's just cheating ;)

Thanks for the replies as they are greatly appreciated. I have fished flukes in the past few years with good success. Let me try and rephase my question.

I fish upstream 90% of the time as this is my preference. On some occasions when I have to walk downstream to get back to the car I throw a fluke. I was wondering what else I can throw when the fluke bite isn't on?

Any idea's?

Come on Don R throw me a bone.

Thanks!

Topwaters and spinnerbaits would be two other options I would try. I almost always prefer to fish topwaters downstream or cross-current, given the choice. Both can give you a headache when weeds are high, but I think most baits will (even rigged weedless) when you retrieve upstream through the grass. I would just stick with your confidence baits and try to work around it.

Eric is right! Fall means Hawg Time! Don't be afraid to throw some really outrageosly large lures this time of year. You will be pleasantly surprised by the large fish that pull on your string.

As for Flukes - I love them, but for some reason this year they have been worthless! I cannot figure it out but 2007 has not been the year of the Fluke - at least for me. Normally, I never leave home without them, but the last few trips I have left them at home. Maybe punishing them by leaving them at home will cause them to behave. ;)

Rattlebaits are also a nice option . A 4 or 5 inch thickwalled tube weightless on an EWG Gammie can be a nice option to cover the midportion of the water column .

Wading back to the car, I just about always throw a buzzbait with shiny blades. Ought to be good for a while yet.

JB smoked me on Flukes Saturday. They do seem a temperamental bait.

Fish weren't hitting buzz when I tried on the way up, but on the way back I got 12, including a 16 and 17. I try not to stop walking and make lots and lots of casts.

We had a hell of a day. Close to 75 in 7 hours. Including a treble in my right hand :blink: .

On 09/13/07 we headed down to a new section of the DuPage we’ve never fished. Kudos to my brother for researching the area. So I’m prepared to head down stream with spinners, top water cranks, rattle traps, senko’s, flukes, flirts and tubes. So what happens, we head mostly upstream so there goes everything I planned. Michael T (Alias: Cool Hand Fluke) started out with the fluke, my brother (alank) had a swimming bait so I headed down to the bottom with a slider head using a smallie beaver. We all caught fish with a variety of baits. Michael T restored my faith with the fluke.

Yesterday we fished roughly the same area but went much further downstream. The grass was floating so the options were a little limited. I did throw tubes, senko’s, flukes weightless and the flirt on a slider head. The fluke landed some of the most aggressive hits all year. The flirt also produced nicely. Back upstream almost all soft plastics worked. The flirt is made by the same company that makes the beavers, Reaction Innovations. It was nice catching fish on baits I haven’t used for awhile.

Looking forward to the next time out…