V-Man’s Hellraizer

Second generation of my fly rod version of Z-Mans new Hellraizer lure and calling it V-Man’s Hellraizer.  I’m always amazed at what can be done with foam, markers and some epoxy.

7A7C5CAF-84D2-40D5-9863-A54B31B23369.jpeg

F5985881-8D2A-4B9F-A03C-D85CB2526324.jpeg

2 hours ago, rich mc said:

very creative    sort of a reverse chatterbait

The action on it is amazing and easy to cast with my 6 or 7 weight.  Fished it this afternoon and the bass were slamming it with 100% hookup rate.  Plan on making a few with rattles next. 

Can you describe the action? I’ve been wanting something louder and fishable against current like those whopper ploppers. 

8 hours ago, Ben K. said:

Can you describe the action? I’ve been wanting something louder and fishable against current like those whopper ploppers. 

I’ve only tested it in still water so far but will get some video of it in both types of water.  It’s not whopper plopper loud, but kicks up a splash like a struggling fish and makes it dart erratically side to side.  

Very interesting concept. Would love to see it in actions. The chain-eyes should make some rattle noise, if it isn't muffled by the popping sound.

4 hours ago, Tom L said:

Very interesting concept. Would love to see it in actions. The chain-eyes should make some rattle noise, if it isn't muffled by the popping sound.

I think the epoxy coating keeps it from rattling but the plastic beads click a little.  I’m still working on a rattle version.   Hoping to get some GoPro footage on the action soon.  

25 minutes ago, Rob G said:

It's a flure.  Love to see a material list and close ups of your build.

Exactly!  Let’s go fishing sometime and you can try it out.  I will put together a list once more testing is done.  

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Rob G said:

You just have to cast these in some clear water and have someone film their movement on retrieval. 

I sure like that checkered pattern on the Lazy Ike with a prop 

Maybe over at clear pond ? I need a video operator.   Volunteers?   I used a Copic marker airbrush with some netting.  

2 hours ago, Ben K. said:

That paint job is money! How heavy are these? Under 2 grams? 

Thanks! Working on some fire tiger colored ones currently.  Not sure on weight but I’m guessing under 2 grams. 

• VanH changed the title to V-Man’s Hellraizer
  • 1 month later...
On 10/14/2022 at 10:20 AM, rich mc said:

matt stefan recently did a u tube on the hellraiser

Thanks for sharing.  You can see why this motivated me to create a fly rod version.  

so has it been getting hammered?    i am going to try a  similar fly using the bottom tie in point.  i used a 90 degree hook and the balanced style  with a foam head on the pin making the head  farther out front.  body is   eyelash.

• 3 weeks later...