Tying Tables

John Gillio

as you can see on my desk.i screwed some plywood to extend off the table my vise is there.   the top is on a metal tool chest of drawers so i have no room for my big feet.  my seat is a bar stool height. only problem with it is if i drop something .  thanks eric

• 3 months later...

Well, my tying room/bench is actually my workshop where I make violins, but it has to do double duty. It's something of a sh*t shambles at present. Right now fly tying is taking priority, but that's likely going to turn over in the coming weeks.

IMG_6780.JPG

9 hours ago, John Gillio said:

Wow, that’s an interesting combo. Violins to poppers then back to violins again. I’m intrigued. Is violin making something you do on the side or is it your main gig?

Instrument repairs and sales of imports is my main gig, building is a hobby, as selling your own instruments you can't make any money at.

IMG_6781.JPG

4 hours ago, Terry Dodge said:

Interesting. Are you cutting your own blockheads from those large blocks of foam?

Yep. The best way I've found to get large blocks of EVA foam is to buy yoga blocks on eBay, They run about $5 each including shipping and can yield dozens and dozens of blockheads and popper plugs. I resaw the yoga blocks into slabs on my bandsaw, which does a beautiful job of slicing them. If I want plugs the $3.50 plug cutter set from Harbor Freight does a fine job of cutting them out on my drill press. Cutting blockheads is a lot trickier, but with practice and a good, long sharp utility knife its doable.

Nothing against the fly shops, but I aint paying no $1 a piece for a block head, when purchasing materials in bulk they're  about 4 cents each.

IMG_6778.jpg

On 8/28/2021 at 7:29 AM, Jay D said:

Instrument repairs and sales of imports is my main gig, building is a hobby, as selling your own instruments you can't make any money at.

IMG_6781.JPG

Very nice! I’ve talked to many rod builders about the same thing. They say that keeping it a hobby keeps it fun. Do you just repair string instruments or do you work on others too?

28 minutes ago, John Gillio said:

Very nice! I’ve talked to many rod builders about the same thing. They say that keeping it a hobby keeps it fun. Do you just repair string instruments or do you work on others too?

I work on violin family instruments (violas, cellos, basses) exclusively. I also work on bows, which are periodically re-haired with horse hair (tail). It helps to be a fly tier when doing that job...

5 hours ago, Jay D said:

I work on violin family instruments (violas, cellos, basses) exclusively. I also work on bows, which are periodically re-haired with horse hair (tail). It helps to be a fly tier when doing that job...

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that info.