Illinois Stream Access Laws

Mark K

12 hours ago, Scott Ferguson said:

Besides being a nice article on the Mazon, it reminded me of what a wonderful writer John Husar was and how much I miss his outdoor column.

I have not paddled the Mazon in a really long time, there was no cow pee pipe when I paddled it so that call must have worked.  The waterfall he is talking about was WhiteTie Falls, which I believe is just run-off from farm fields across Whitetie road.  Claypool Ditch, I thiink it's called.  It used to be really pretty, like a real creek and a waterfall.  then they poured concrete in  it i guess for erosion and it's truly hideous now.   

He also doesn't mention that the landowners were pissed because fossil hunters would go in there sometimes with shovels and tear up the already eroding banks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Terry Dodge said:

The circled area is the land owner property. The red X is the forest preserve canoe launch. The red arrow indicates flow direction.

The forest preserve sent me a PDF of their brochure on canoeing. Here is the disclaimer. 

Canoeists on Illinois rivers receive permission from landowners whenever utilizing private property. Many of the streams in Illinois are bounded by private land. Any stream that is not legally public and navigable is private and can only be used with permission from the landowners. Obtain permission from landowners before launching, take out, camping, picnicking, portaging, or parking vehicles on private land. Remember that your conduct will greatly influence the landowners attitude toward other canoeists.

So yeah, that old man is probably right.  You probably need his permission to be legal.

Why they built a launch to the south of there i have no idea.  Maybe they are hoping to buy that property at some point?

There is a canoe launch and a parking lot just to the NW of that guy's property. 

They sent me PDFs of maps of a bunch of FPs around there. looks on paper to be really nice.

2019 Canoe Brochure.pdf

1 hour ago, Mark K said:

I have not paddled the Mazon in a really long time, there was no cow pee pipe when I paddled it so that call must have worked.  The waterfall he is talking about was WhiteTie Falls, which I believe is just run-off from farm fields across Whitetie road.  Claypool Ditch, I thiink it's called.  It used to be really pretty, like a real creek and a waterfall.  then they poured concrete in  it i guess for erosion and it's truly hideous now.   

He also doesn't mention that the landowners were pissed because fossil hunters would go in there sometimes with shovels and tear up the already eroding banks.

I remember reading some of those articles on the fossils, made me want to go down.there and do some digging myself. I might even still have one if it didn't go in the last file cabinet purge.

4 minutes ago, Kev-mo said:

I remember reading some of those articles on the fossils, made me want to go down.there and do some digging myself. I might even still have one if it didn't go in the last file cabinet purge.

I have a few really nice ones.  We used to go float the river fish and look for rocks.  The river is pretty much picked thru now.  It was 15 years ago.  If you are interested in that stuff look up ESCONI , Earth Science Club of Northern Illinois. They meet at C.O.D. and run trips to Braceville where you can (legally) find those same types of Fossils. you can hunt at braidwood also, but you need to check in.

There actually refered to as "Mazon creek Fossils" from the Pensylvanian era (250 milion ish years ago)  and I think there are very few places on earth where they exist and none in the numbers that were found in that area. 

This is a cool forum also.

http://www.thefossilforum.com