Vintage Shimano Anti-reverse Repair- cleaning

Mark K

Retro is cool these days, right?  I hate the idea that I am old enough now that I bought brand new,  what is consider now- vintage.

I have three "vintage" Shimano Stradic - mid to late 90's  when reels first started have a anti reverse with no slop. They all failed with the anti-reverse slipping.  All in about a year or two, which pissed me off because it was a hundred dollar reel back then.  I thought i trashed them from slingshotting jigs out of rocks.  But after I took it apart I was like...there is nothing here to break.

The reason they slip is becaiuse grease and oil get in the mechanism and the way it works is friction.

So in short I disassembled the first of the three reels and followed this tutorial on how to repair the anti-reverse mechanism.  What did we ever do before You Tube !!?? 

I also flushed out the body with simple green and a brush so it was spotless.  Then I rinsed the bejesus out of it with hot water.  All the gunk and crap got flushed out.

Lastly I doused it in 99% rubbing alcohol- the stuff with no glycerin- pure alcohol. Drug store grade.  So alcohol is miscible in water- where acetone, acetate, MEK are not.  Plus all those can attack plastic. The only reason I used the alcohol is that it mixes with water- I think it forms an azeotrope, then everything evaporates off fast.  I LIGHTLY lubed everything with "Reel Butter", which according to the internet is the best stuff out there.  Reassembled- amazingly no parts left over.  The reel is VERY  smooth now and pretty tight.  Not as tight as a 60 dollar reel  today. LOL.  

The anti-reverse was the trickiest part.  I don't think I would have fixed it without this awesome tutorial.  It all took about 2 hours but I think I could do it in about an hour now. 

Taking it out for a try now.

I haven't done another brand of reel yet, so I don't know how other anti reverses work, and if Shimano continued with this design, but based on the way this works you should not expect one of these to work right if it gets dunked.

That whole mechanism was not expected to be taken apart and cleaned either.  It's a whole separate part.

I am going to do my Daiwa Whisker SS, which has an anti-reverse that is pretty far from "infinite".  But that reel never fails.  Curious what that one looks like inside.

Fixed a second identical 2000FE Stradic. This one the antireverse did not work at all and that little thing in the video was grody.  Just see if it would work i took it off and cleaned it without disassembly  There is one screw that will hold it all together.  I soaked it in mineral spirits, agitating it really well, then simple green and really hot water.  Then i blasted it under the facucet with hot water.  Then a dunk in alcohol to dry it out. 

Seems to be working for now pretty well. 

This reel got disassembled and cleaned also. Took me about an hour again.

On 6/18/2019 at 9:07 AM, Philf said:

Good job. I feel like I need one of those boxes they use to work on radioactive stuff with the gloves that reach inside. I always have parts dropping and flying off the work bench. 

Happened to me.  A magnetic work pad would be the ticket.