New trip upcoming

Jonn Graham

Due to the price of gas, our Sylvania group will regrettably have to take a year off from the wonderous smallmouth heaven that is Sylvania. In place of our annual UP excursion, we have decided to head to Sw Wisconsin and fish the fabulous smallmouth streams this area of the state possesses. We plan to fish the Grant, Platte, and Fever rivers. Should be alot of fun. We leave Monday morning. Of course, I can't wait. New rivers, new smallies, and a great bunch of guys. I will report when I return.

Enjoy the Great Smallmouth water you have choosen and relish in the company of friends. These streams shared with friends will leave lasting memories.

Due to the price of gas, our Sylvania group will regrettably have to take a year off from the wonderous smallmouth heaven that is Sylvania. In place of our annual UP excursion, we have decided to head to Sw Wisconsin and fish the fabulous smallmouth streams this area of the state possesses. We plan to fish the Grant, Platte, and Fever rivers. Should be alot of fun. We leave Monday morning. Of course, I can't wait. New rivers, new smallies, and a great bunch of guys. I will report when I return.

Jonn, I floated the Grant 2-3 years ago from Co. Rd. U to Ridge Rd. The river was high and it poured rain for about 30 minutes while I was on the river. I did not catch any fish, but I know this is good smallie water and I will float it again. The river has some great rock formations, beautiful aesthetics in general. Have fun and good luck. Gordon

Jonn, that still sounds like a pretty cool trip. I've done some research on those rivers and I have read good things. Most of those start out as native trout streams in the headwaters and end up being quality smallmouth fisheries through the main and lower basin.

The Sylvania smallouth are getting a big break this year. Our NW group was trimmed back big time this year. I had booked a Canada fly-in already so I couldn't book a Sylvania Trip with the guys. I did manage to work out a 1st anual father/daughter camping trip. She just turned 11 and in a few years hanging out with Dad probably won't be cool anymore. We will be base camping at the drive up camps in Sylvania. The plan is day 1 visit bond & octonogon falls and drive up to do some hiking in the porcupine mountains. Day 2 paddle/portage the clark, loon, DI, cub, BB loop. Day 3 paddle/portage the crooked, high, kerr, E&W bear, mountain loop. I know this is taking on a lot and the weather will have to be good to get this done. Traveling will go faster when you're not fishing all the time. Fishing will be secondary on this trip with mostly photographing and observing wildlife as the primary focus. Don't get me wrong I'll be dragging a senko or hula grub through a few key spots. There are also some smaller lakes up there where a kid can catch bluegill on almost every cast using a small hair jig. I'll try to post a report when I get back next week too.

I look forward to hearing how your trip went Jonn.

Having a Honda Civic that gets 38MPG makes this all possible. I'm actually pretty excited about hiking the porkies too. Whenever I get into fly fishing, this may become a fishing destination of mine. Lake of the clouds is supposed to be an artificial only C&R only smallmouth lake too. The shorline sounds like it is too steep and wild for shore fishing. I will scout and see how easy it would be to portage a canoe into.