Hamel Woods Dam Removal

Unfortunately there were two drownings near the Dupage River Hamel Woods dam on Sunday according to the Tribune.   The newspaper article indicates a priority of the Will County Forest Preserve is removal of the dam and it looks like it will be removed soon.

"Coincidentally, Will County forest preserve commissioners this week were expected to review two resolutions regarding the eventual removal of the dam. The district has been working since 2017 with others Lower DuPage River Watershed Coalition to find ways to improve water quality and safety on the river, Cain said. After a study of options, removal of the Hammel Woods dam was identified as the highest priority.

The district’s operations committee is expected to vote Wednesday on a resolution for second-phase engineering for dam removal. The study is expected to cost $104,000. Committee members also are expected to vote on a resolution of agreement with the Lower DuPage River Watershed Coalition for the coalition to fund the study.

ADVERTISING

The study is expected to be completed later this year. Initial estimates show dam removal could cost $585,000, which also is expected to be covered by the coalition. Dam removal could begin as early as next year, Cain said.

Both resolutions, if approved by the committee, would be presented for a vote of the full Forest Preserve District board at its April 11 meeting, Cain said."

I wonder if the man entering the river at or near the dam was some type of angry stunt or suicide attempt, and then the woman went in after him. I haven’t found an article yet that states a motive for him being in the river. Too cold for swimming. Didn’t say they were fishing or boating. A really odd set of circumstances for this tragedy for sure. You pretty much have to TRY to drown in the Dupe at this flow and they found perhaps the one area of maximum danger.

Once again on dam removals, too little, too late! The great (broke) State of Illinois!

18 hours ago, Eric said:

I wonder if the man entering the river at or near the dam was some type of angry stunt or suicide attempt, and then the woman went in after him. I haven’t found an article yet that states a motive for him being in the river. Too cold for swimming. Didn’t say they were fishing or boating. A really odd set of circumstances for this tragedy for sure. 

Yeah that was my first thought also. 

• 2 years later...

According to article in today's Chicago Tribune dam removal is scheduled to begin tomorrow with tentative completion date in October. Hoorah!!!

"Removal of the dam will be done in two stages, the stone footings below the river bottom will remain while the part of the dam above the river bottom will be removed".

"Natural river rocks will be added near the banks of river in order to create "riffles" to oxygenate the water....Native vegetation will also be planted in order to stabilize the riverbanks", according to statement by the Forrest Preserve District of Will County.  

"A section of the Dupage River part of the Dupage River Trail and part of the preserve will all be closed as a result of the project.....The removal will be paid for by the Lower DuPage River Wetlands Coalition". 

• 3 weeks later...

This view of Hamel Woods Dam is from the westbound lane of RT 52  looking north, taken today as I was passing by. Not really a good spot around to safely pull over and get a better look. Progress looks good so far. 

20210729_110915.jpg

1 minute ago, Gene Fisher said:

This view of Hamel Woods Dam is from the westbound lane of RT 52  looking north, taken today as I was passing by. Not really a good spot around to safely pull over and get a better look. Progress looks good so far. 

20210729_110915.jpg

I believe they are installing a cofferdam in this photo.

• 5 weeks later...