DuPage River Sweep, Saturday, May 18

I'm gonna be there.

• 1 month later...

We'll plan to meet at Hidden Lake's parking lot at 8:30 am this Saturday for this year's River Sweep.  I have some supplies (gloves, bags and pickers) provided by the Conservation Foundation but feel free to bring your own supplies.  We'll meet the Bolingbrook liaison at the parking lot for directions on areas with the most need and attention.  There may be opportunities to do restoration work as well.  The more the merrier so please come out and join us.  

Hidden Lakes park is adjacent to the East Branch of the Dupage River.  The entrance to the park is on the west side of Schmidt Road one block north of the intersection of Boughton Road and Schmidt Road in Bolingbrook.  There is also a community garden and sign at the entrance.  You have to continue down a steep hill to get to the Hidden Lake parking lot next to the trout ponds,  If any questions let me know.  Hope to see you there!

Good Day,

I would like to once again express gratitude to Orbus, Ulta, and ISA ( Illinois Smallmouth Alliance)  for the participation in the 2019 DuPage River Sweep.

The event is still a “Go”, despite recent heavy downpours.

The following short list outlines some available tasks and general side notes for tomorrows event.

·        Hidden Lakes Historic Trout Farm Parking lot is the 9 a.m. meeting location. (475 Trout Farm Road Bolingbrook).

·        Site Conditions will be wet and muddy so please inform your volunteers of proper footwear.

·        Some tasks available for volunteers include: Native plug installation, digging up noxious plant species ( Hemerocallis fulva- Orange Day-Lily), Avian/Bird count, Small stem invasive woody cutting and the traditional focus of liter, refuse, and flood debris along the East Branch of the DuPage.

·        Including myself, Dan Finn ( Horticulturalist/Arborist) 630-809-0660 and Amanda Stilwell ( Natural Resources Crew leader) 630-849-4224will be event contacts if needed and be present.

Thank you once again and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Best,

image002.jpg

Kevin Daly and I of the ISA joined approximately 50 volunteers on a beautiful Saturday morning to assist the Bolingbrook Park District in cleaning  up the Dupage River as part of the 2019 Dupage River Sweep. I was extremely excited to meet Forrest Rackmyer, Dan Finn and Amanda Sillwell , Horticulturalists and Arborists of the Bolingbrook Park District and hear about their plans to help restore the river valley along the East Branch of the Dupage River through the Bolingbrook area maintained by the Park District.  The River Sweep volunteers helped clean up liter, refuse and flood debris (a lot of plastic) in an area along the East Branch that stretched from the Royce Road Bridge kayak launch to the Whalon Lake waterfall downstream of the Hidden Lakes Park District trout ponds.  Kevin and I also assisted Dan and Amanda in removing  noxious Orange Day Lilys and in planting Native plugs in scattered areas downstream of the Royce Road Bridge kayak launch where the Park District has launched a major river bank restorative effort.  Forrest is a avid fisherman and recognizes the smallmouth bass are not as plentiful in the East Branch and hopes his restorative efforts will help change this fact.  There are many areas where the ISA can help Forrest and the Bolingbrook Park District in their cause and we look forward to forging a collaborative working relationship in the future.  

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg