Swim Bait+Chatterbait=?

Mike G

Here's a hot stove question to ponder. Which is better a swim bait or a chatterbait or a hybrid?

Here is a video on making the Hybrid. A while back I posted my homage to Jon Grahams Swim Bait.

So will the Hybrid come out the champ?

43 minutes ago, Andy C said:

The swim bait with a scrounger head has been in my arsenal for quite sometime, seems to be a little better than the chatter bait IMO.

It is a very similar blade concept. Though I have had great success on my home made chatter baits with a grub trailer, I just started adding the chatter blade to swim baits with boot tail trailers.  I am wondering if the hammer tail works against the blade by causing drag and reducing action. Chatterbaits with curly tail grubs for a trailer seem more lively.

A lot of what I have read lately says the blade from the chatter creates some funky water currents and the hammer/boot tail can't function like it's meant to. Basically other trailers like curly tail grubs, senko type, craw type and the fork tail blade something by strike king are better trailers when used on a bladed jig.

I'm pretty happy with my swim jigs being bladeless. I haven't delved into to the whole bladed jig thing yet...

On 1/4/2019 at 7:49 AM, Kev-mo said:

A lot of what I have read lately says the blade from the chatter creates some funky water currents and the hammer/boot tail can't function like it's meant to. Basically other trailers like curly tail grubs, senko type, craw type and the fork tail blade something by strike king are better trailers when used on a bladed jig.

I'm pretty happy with my swim jigs being bladeless. I haven't delved into to the whole bladed jig thing yet...

Thanks for the comment confirming my suspicion that there is a point where less is more. You should try a bladed bait sometime.  I have best luck with a homemade version that features a 1/4 oz  Cobra Jig, sparse skirt, 1/2 the sili fibers and a simple 3.5 in. grub for a trailer. 

On 1/7/2019 at 8:02 AM, Mike G said:

Thanks for the comment confirming my suspicion that there is a point where less is more. You should try a bladed bait sometime.  I have best luck with a homemade version that features a 1/4 oz  Cobra Jig, sparse skirt, 1/2 the sili fibers and a simple 3.5 in. grub for a trailer. 

I had $10 free from DSG rewards so I splurged on a jackhammer. I'll give that a go this year.

classy looking blade bait. Classy $$$ too. I had a vintage Sports Afield from 1962. In it Rapala ran an add apologizing that the ran out of lures. Readers could place advance orders for the original 10 at $1. 50 each.  When did lures get so expensive?

On 1/12/2019 at 8:56 AM, Mike G said:

classy looking blade bait. Classy $$$ too. I had a vintage Sports Afield from 1962. In it Rapala ran an add apologizing that the ran out of lures. Readers could place advance orders for the original 10 at $1. 50 each.  When did lures get so expensive?

Yeah it looks pretty slick.  Is it any better than the others? Depends who you talk to... 

Lures got expensive when they were successfully marketed to be superior to other lures and people were willing to pay for said superiority (perceived or real).. Do the fish care? I'm not sure yet... I do know nothing I've found suspends quite like the LC pointers. 

• 4 months later...

Rivers and lakes for pike and largemouth I always carry a few bladed chatter jigs with large grub or swimbait trailers. Especially if water is stained or there is weeds present.

Smallies fishing I never throw bladed jigs, there are better options.

Something about that blade thumping can really trigger reaction  strikes though....