Jump to content

Keep your hands warmer


Philf
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...

Best thing I've found to keep my hands warm/warmer is the the blue nitrile gloves. I think Joe R. was the first one I saw sporting them. A "no throw away" but more expensive option are the R1 gloves from Patagonia. I'm sure there is something similar by other companies.

John, if you haven't already done so check out  Jeff Littles Youtube videos on coldwater fishing.  Lots of good info on baits etc. but also a lot of safety tips. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

13 hours ago, JOHN SCHENCK said:

Solid! High flow + cold water = tough but extra rewarding if you can land a biggun. You kayak fish a lot During cold months

The canoe or kayak helps on the rivers near me. Tough to walk the shoreline with hills and hunters. The bigger rivers like the Kankakee are easier from shore.  Once you know what to look for. Small slack water spots. You can hit a bunch and have coffee and sandwiches in the car. Just recovering from the flu I decided to skip getting a shot this year. I should be back on the water in a week or so.  I’ve spent a lot of time winter fishing so if you have any questions let me know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2018 at 8:53 AM, Kev-mo said:

Best thing I've found to keep my hands warm/warmer is the the blue nitrile gloves. I think Joe R. was the first one I saw sporting them. A "no throw away" but more expensive option are the R1 gloves from Patagonia. I'm sure there is something similar by other companies.

John, if you haven't already done so check out  Jeff Littles Youtube videos on coldwater fishing.  Lots of good info on baits etc. but also a lot of safety tips. 

Oh most definitely I’ve seen his videos fishing  rivers in horrible conditions! Love his passion for it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2018 at 11:48 AM, Philf said:

 

The canoe or kayak helps on the rivers near me. Tough to walk the shoreline with hills and hunters. The bigger rivers like the Kankakee are easier from shore.  Once you know what to look for. Small slack water spots. You can hit a bunch and have coffee and sandwiches in the car. Just recovering from the flu I decided to skip getting a shot this year. I should be back on the water in a week or so.  I’ve spent a lot of time winter fishing so if you have any questions let me know. 

Yes I was thinking of getting out Friday but not sure what the scheduled rain will do to that idea. I’ll play it by ear.... I was thinking of covering some water during Christmas break looking for spots I can drop anchor and pick apart slowly.... I’ll be in touch before with some questions as I don’t winter fish much bit would like to more. 

Thanks for the feedback 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JOHN SCHENCK said:

Yes I was thinking of getting out Friday but not sure what the scheduled rain will do to that idea. I’ll play it by ear.... I was thinking of covering some water during Christmas break looking for spots I can drop anchor and pick apart slowly.... I’ll be in touch before with some questions as I don’t winter fish much bit would like to more. 

Thanks for the feedback 

 

I don't think we are going to get dumped on so you should be good for Friday.

Btw I'll be off for Christmas break, lmk if you want to hang.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/12/2018 at 11:25 AM, Kev-mo said:

 

I don't think we are going to get dumped on so you should be good for Friday.

Btw I'll be off for Christmas break, lmk if you want to hang.

Welp work took over my Friday and I never got out maybe between Christmas and new year I’ll hit you up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2018 at 9:49 AM, Paul Trybul said:

I love the winter fishing passion. It's tough in winter conditions but the peace and tranquility can be worth the effort. There could be a window this weekend to fish in milder conditions. You don't have to worry about other people in your spots.

Your right Paul. It takes a true passion for it and The peace and quiet of being out there alone with only Mother Nature is unmatched.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...