What pound mono are guys using ?

Rob G

I use 10-12 lb tippet, sometimes up to 16 lb when I'm throwing more expensive flies. I like Maxima and mostly use chameleon, though I also use the ultra-green or fluorocarbon. It's a bit stiffer than other mono and is really strong. I think it turns over nicely with big streamers.

I spend a lot of my time in WI, and the tannin stained waters are really suitable for the chameleon line. I can't say I have noticed smallmouth being leader/tippet shy.

For trout, I like Trouthunter fluorocarbon or clear mono.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:17 PM, Rob G said:

What pound monofilament are you guys using most of the time.  Do you change it up depending on water clarity ?  Just curious,  thanks.

4-6lb, 8 at the most.  I don't care for it on a baitcaster, but when I did I used 12-15.

No I would not change it, based on clarity but I still am wondering if using a light fluorocarbon makes a difference at times- like in Sylvania or the lakefront. Don't know.

18 minutes ago, Rob G said:

So some are using a braid like Spiderwire, even in clear, low and slow water conditions ?  

Mark, if I were to use 4 lb test, the smallies down this way would be giggling and drawing straws to see who gets to break me off first, Ha

So you think bass have the intelligence to reason that because braided line is more visible than mono, (which they can also see) that they won't bite a lure made of plastic, metal, or feathers with a treble hook or two hanging from it?  If they were that smart, why can't they tell real food from fake?

Scott,  I'm not saying that all.  I have a lot of respect for your, Terry, and Paul's fish catching abilities and want to know what tools you are using to be successful.   I know a lot of pro bass fishermen will not use anything but fluoro and so it's all interesting to me.  Rob  

A professional bass fisherman has a different prospective than everyone else when it comes to catching bass.  EVERY fish they catch is important to their career. ANYTHING that they can do to that might increase just the chance of catching even one more fish is in bounds.  Using scents, electronic fish callers, fluorocarbon lines, everything and anything is in play.   I don't have to catch every fish that swims in order to pay my bills. So I can afford  to look at things in a different way than a pro will.  I've had enough success catching fish without resorting to using leaders or scents that I find that sticking  to a simpler system works for me.  

For smallies 8 pound Trilene Sensa Thin in low vis green was always my favorite. I don't  know about the fish, but I don't see it well anymore, so I have been trying lines that I can see better. I always have a snap on the end so I do not have to retie constantly.  I have never switched because of water clarity. I try to keep it simple. I cannot say if it makes a dif. I still catch fish.

13 hours ago, Rob G said:

So some are using a braid like Spiderwire, even in clear, low and slow water conditions ?  

Mark, if I were to use 4 lb test, the smallies down this way would be giggling and drawing straws to see who gets to break me off first, Ha

4lb line is stronger than most people give it credit for.  I was messing with it up in Sylvania and didn't break any fish off.  I can't remember if it was 4 or 6lb, but no more but my son landed this cat with it.

27504796190_e064486c97_c.jpgWill's Big Cat! by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

In the river, more often than not I have been using my baitcaster which has 20lb or 30lb Suffix braid on it. That line has been on there for at least 4 years.

Mark, I'm sure someone skilled could land larger fish on 4 lbs, but me, nope, I used to use 8lb test for years and lost a couple super fish when they made that quick turn down stream in a strong current.  I switched over to 10lb, a 25% increase in strength and feel I can horse them around a little easier and in the end, I just feel more confident.  Now I'm wondering if I could get by with 12 lb test since the loop knots which I often use for my flies, are not nearly as strong as more standard knots.