P-Line Evolution

Steve S.

I gave the new P-Line copolymer a field test yesterday afternoon. I have been using the McCoy on my casting rod, but I did not like the way it handled on my spinning gear. At first I thought it was because I wasn't used to casting 10 lb test with my spinng reel. The McCoy seemed a little too stiff and affected my casting distance. The 10 lb test P-Line Evolution handled more to my liking. It performed well this outing, but we'll see how durable it is in the long haul.

I gave the new P-Line copolymer a field test yesterday afternoon. I have been using the McCoy on my casting rod, but I did not like the way it handled on my spinning gear. At first I thought it was because I wasn't used to casting 10 lb test with my spinng reel. The McCoy seemed a little too stiff and affected my casting distance. The 10 lb test P-Line Evolution handled more to my liking. It performed well this outing, but we'll see how durable it is in the long haul.

Level wind reels revolve and the line comes off the spool in a straight line;

whereas with spinning reels, the rotor rotates at 90 degrees to the line coming off the spool, which results in line curls.

There are various types of P-Line on the market.

You weren't specific as to which one was giving you trouble---

flourocarbon, flouro-clear, Xtra tuff, XXtra tuff, or XXXtra tuff.

The lines all have different characteristics.

I find most problems are operator/user issues with line problems.

With the vast selection of lines on todays market, it's mind boggling as to which to select.

OEMs ads/info are misleading and inaccurate.

10lb Pline, thicker than 8lb, will work satisfactorily on spinning reels, that have a larger dia spool---

such as 4000 series size Shimano spinning reels.

SOME lines in 10lb line rating, will work okay on a 2000/2500 size reel.

6-8lb line, more suited on the 2000/2500 size reels.

4-6lb line more suited for the 750-1500 size reels.

Many anglers have problems when they install too heavy of line or too hard of line on their spinning reels.

I had the issue with McCoy, that I wouldn't characterize as trouble, but just a stiffer feel than I like. The P-Line is fine (thus far). I've used the Fluroclear before and liked it. The new line by P-Line is called Evolution.

I use 6 lb CXX Extra Strong for spinning when bass fishing. 6 lb might seem light but P-line is heavier and thicker than what it is rated for. Overall, it is some tough, strong line that stays limp and easy to cast. I have used it when skipping boat docks and running jigs over rock and the line holds up well. Just make sure to check it every so often. I tried 8 lbs but that has too much memory for my liking. Good fishing. Paul

Guest rich mc

i used and still dio have some p line. this year i have the mcoy on a baitcaster but have replaced some of the p line with cortland endurance . it works better than p line rich

I had the issue with McCoy, that I wouldn't characterize as trouble, but just a stiffer feel than I like. The P-Line is fine (thus far). I've used the Fluroclear before and liked it. The new line by P-Line is called Evolution.

McCoy is a coplymer line.

I've used the 4 & 6 lb on spinning---seems okay---

8 is okay, but on larger size spools, like the 4000 series size reels.

McCoy is favored by many tourney bass anglers.

They use the heavy lines on bait casting reels.

McCoy is a more abrasion resistant line, but a little stiffer than an extra limp line.

I use 6 lb CXX Extra Strong for spinning when bass fishing. 6 lb might seem light but P-line is heavier and thicker than what it is rated for. Overall, it is some tough, strong line that stays limp and easy to cast. I have used it when skipping boat docks and running jigs over rock and the line holds up well. Just make sure to check it every so often. I tried 8 lbs but that has too much memory for my liking. Good fishing. Paul

P-Line, CXX Extra Strong, I agree, is a very strong line, and it's highly abrasion resistant---better than many lines.

I've used 6 lb and like it on spinning gear.

4lb test is great, on UL reels.

The 2lb is favored by several ice fishing anglers.

i used and still dio have some p line. this year i have the mcoy on a baitcaster but have replaced some of the p line with cortland endurance . it works better than p line rich

Rich,

Glad you like it.

Cortland Endurance, is an excellent line.

It's a "super mono", akin to copolymer line.

Presently my favorite mono line.

Glass like finish---invisible in water---as good as flourocarbon.

Low memory.

Low stretch.

Very tough.

Great abrasion resistance.

I like the His-Vis version----easier to see, over the clear version.

Great for float or drift fishing---you can see where the line enters the water, and can detect when a very subtle pick-up occurs.

I use the Hi-Vis versions on my bait runner reels, when float/drift fishing.

The Hi-Vis really excells, it contrasts with the darker background, such as wood and weeds.

You can see the line most, so very little, like when a fish justs sucks the bait in, and doesn't swim off.

This line has improved my catch ratio, under such conditions. I fish a lot of deadfalls and laydowns.

Cortlands Endurance line performs great for me.

Presently, I haven't found another line that is better.

I'm not an expert---

I just try to fish a lot.

McCoy is a coplymer line.

I've used the 4 & 6 lb on spinning---seems okay---

8 is okay, but on larger size spools, like the 4000 series size reels.

McCoy is favored by many tourney bass anglers.

They use the heavy lines on bait casting reels.

McCoy is a more abrasion resistant line, but a little stiffer than an extra limp line.

I started using 10 lb. McCoy Mean Green on my casting outfit in rivers last Fall, and I'm happy enough with it to have purchased another 1000 yard spool (thanks Jonn for the recommendation). I also used the 17 lb. clear McCoy this past April in FL. I thought it performed very well.

The P-Line is a smoother casting line, but needs more time on the water before I can say it is a "reel" performer. I use a lot of topwaters in the warmer months, so I hope to get away with a little less abrasion resistance and gain casting distance. We'll see if those are my famous last words.

And Don, there is nothing wrong with my hooksets..... :P

Very well said by many. Again, with Jonn Graham's recommendations I also use the McCoy. I took on P-Line under

my own reports.

Again, I will stress what others have said:

4-6 pound McCoy & P-Line are both great on spinning reels up to 2500 series. I have not used 8 pound but will on

other reels of 3500 - 4000 series with the larger spools. Larger sizes typically handle well on bait casting gear as proven

by tournament gurus. It flips and casts very well.

It has been my experience that both lines up to 6 pound will handle smallies without fail. It is a super mono by

make up and also by personal account. I landed a 3 pound smallie last week on a short string sight fishing and she

gave me a hand-full but I landed the fish without overstressing her or the McCoy. They were nice, active post-spawn

bronzebacks on the creek I fish. I am yet to experience line failure or twist when using my brains fishing for them!!

Keep a tight line brother and Hail to the beloved Smallie!