One of my favorite beers

John Gillio

18 minutes ago, Steve S. said:

do they distribute around Chicagoland or just in +/-Ottawa?

I am not sure. There is contact info at tangledrootsbrewing.com. I picked up a 6 pack in LaSalle. The Lone Buffalo is a resturant attached to the brewery. It is worth a visit.

You guys are all too young to remember  Star Model and Star Union, brewed on Water Street in Peru on the banks of the then filthy, polluted and foaming Illinois River. I hope they did not brew it with river water, but according to my uncles, in addition to being cheap, it was bottled so "green " that it was widely known for it's laxative effects. I'm sure all the modern brews are great. Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, John Flannery said:

You guys are all too young to remember  Star Model and Star Union, brewed on Water Street in Peru on the banks of the then filthy, polluted and foaming Illinois River. I hope they did not brew it with river water, but according to my uncles, in addition to being cheap, it was bottled so "green " that it was widely known for it's laxative effects. I'm sure all the modern brews are great. Thanks for sharing.

I remember the river when it was in that state. Star Union Brewery was one of the midwest's largest breweries. It was established in 1845. It ceased production in 1966. I was 10 yrs old. Dad used to drink Sepp'l Beau, which was Star Union's premium beer. When I was very young I remember sitting on dad's knee and sipping his beer as he watched Friday Night Boxing on the old tube TV.

15272102821011111835267.thumb.jpg.4be90207ffa28f5055209beb94691b26.jpg1527210451675265488979.thumb.jpg.5d276fe048cabdc56897742678f25345.jpg

We are the same age and my Grandfather lived on second street in Peru, right up the hill. I remember half gallon bottles of one of their brews at family events. Good times and good memories. I always loved visiting from the Quad Cities because my cousins could get Chicago stations. We had two tv stations in the QC. My cousins live in LaSalle, and one of their friends has a massive Star collection that dominates the whole house. 

Back in those days, the local tavern was one of the social centers of society. A few of my early memories include having a coke with my dad, grandfather, or uncles at Essel's Tap in Lasalle , or Woodshanks or Johnny's Place in Peru. Now they would be calling DCFS  if somebody took a little kid  in a tavern. A better time, I think.

I have similar memories.  When I was in about 3rd grade, dad tended bar part time at Balconies tavern which was kitty corner from the school. On Fridays my folks allowed me to stop into the tavern for a soda pop. Marie, the owner, wouldn't  let minors go past the soda fountain ,where the bar started, but I was allowed to go to the poker table to get a chip from my uncle and turn it in for my treat. Good memories.

John, you made my day. My grandfather worked at Westcox  from the late 30,s through the mid 70's. I was worried that especially after the never ending fire, they would tear it down. Glad to see it is being used and will definitely check it out. Thanks for the info. 

3 hours ago, John Flannery said:

John, you made my day. My grandfather worked at Westclox  from the late 30,s through the mid 70's. I was worried that especially after the never ending fire, they would tear it down. Glad to see it is being used and will definitely check it out. Thanks for the info. 

John, I worked there in 1977 & 1978 so I missed your grandfather's time there. The section along water street has a different owner than the section along Rt.6.  The entire middle section burned out and has been cleared. It , along with the Rt 6 section, was bought 3 yrs ago by 3 of the business owners that remained in the building after the fire. I think the water street section is all warehouse. We moved into the west wing of the Rt 6 section of the building 5 yrs ago, just after the fire. It was a scary move but worked out quite well. At that time the east end was industrial and the west end was warehouse except for us. We were glad to see the new owners had a vision for the building. The past 3 yrs has seen  a flurry of growth in the building. including a museum dedicated to the preservation of all things related to the history of the building when it was the nation's largest producer of clocks and watches. Let me know when you are in the area and I would gladly give you a tour of the building if I am available. It has changed tremendously since ownership switched back to people who care about the building and it's history. My wife's business is Music Suite 408, Fine Arts Factory, and Paintbox Gallery.  Check it out at the Music Suite 408 website or facebook page.

That is great news. My wife and I are historic preservation people and love to see historic  buildings saved and repurposed. Here in Wheaton, the home of Warren Wheaton, founder of the town, built in 1856, was going to be torn down and replaced with yet another Starbucks. Through a great deal of effort, including a letter to the CEO of Starbucks asking if he wanted his company known for tearing down historic landmarks, it was saved and is now a dental office.  Thanks so much for the tour offer. Will definitely take you up on it the next time we are in the I.V.

• 3 weeks later...