What do you think this was, and no, it's not a moose !

Rob G

Waded a section of a river today where I had never been before and found this in the middle of nowhere.  How it got there at this point on the river, I have no idea but there is no sign of present day humanity anywhere near by and the bluff above is really high.   Is it a kiln?   Btw, my first photos with this new waterproof Fuji xp120 camera as my Canon D10 died on me last week.

DSCF0022a.jpg

DSCF0023a.jpg

Terry is on track, I think. Our old place in LaGrange had a round catch basin made of brick and mortar. But it was buried. In this case, I speculate that there was a house up on the bluff once. Over time it washed into the creek. No bluffing.  

Definitely the top of a manhole section. Very often larger sanitary sewer lines run along creeks and rivers, since they are the lowest points. The surrounding can then be developed, with the sewer pipes running down towards the creek. Or a deer. It could be a deer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 10:57 AM, jude said:

Definitely the top of a manhole section. Very often larger sanitary sewer lines run along creeks and rivers, since they are the lowest points. The surrounding can then be developed, with the sewer pipes running down towards the creek. Or a deer. It could be a deer.

Are you sure it's deer Jude?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...