trout fiishing for kids

We have been invited to volunteer to help out at DuPage County Forest Preserve's trout fishing for kids event at Wood Dale Grove Forest Preserve. While it is not about smallmouth it is about getting kibs introduced to the joys of fishing. We will meet for breakfast at the Sunmist restaurant 501 E Lake St, Addison, IL 60101 at 7:00am and then head over to Wood Dale Grove at 7:45am.

Here is a description of the event:

Kids ages 15 and under are invited to experience the thrill of catching a fish at "Trout Fishing for Kids" on Saturday, March 31 from 8 a.m. to noon at the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County's Wood Dale Grove Forest Preserve in Wood Dale.

Kids get a great opportunity to fish 9-acre Grove Lake after it's been stocked with rainbow trout but before the official spring opener, giving them a better chance to catch fish. Family members 16 and older are welcome to join the young anglers but may not fish themselves. The event is free and registration is not required. Some equipment will be available for loan, but participants are encouraged to bring their own gear. Bait is provided. The entrance to Wood Dale Grove Forest Preserve is on Wood Dale Road 0.5 mile north of Lake Street. For more information, call 630-933-7248.

"This is a great opportunity to introduce kids to fishing and get them hooked on this fun pastime," said Forest Preserve District Commissioner Marsha Murphy, District 1.

"There's nothing better than seeing the delight on a child's face when they catch their first fish," said Forest Preserve District of DuPage County President Joe Cantore

Ed,

Thank you for coordinating the ISA's participation in the "Trout Fishing for Kids" event with Dan Grigas of the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County.  Despite the typical inclement March weather for this event, it was great to see the kids enjoying themselves and catching lots of nice fish.  Those trout are probably the biggest fish the kids have caught in their young lifetimes.  Several even bagged their limit (5).  Lots of smiles on their faces as well as their parents.   Dan did a great job organizing the event as always.  Programs like this are a great way to introduce the young to our beloved sport of fishing.

Thanks again,

Craig.   

Dan Grigas <DGrigas@dupageforest.org>

To:Everyone Staff DL

Cc:Ed Buric (Ebburic@yahoo.com),j.loebach@comcast.net,Larry Brousil,Linda Painter

Apr 2 at 8:50 AM

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give a brief recap of the trout fishing for kid’s event that took place on Saturday, 3/31. First, I would like to thank all the volunteers and staff that assisted in planning, implementing, and running this event. If not for their efforts, the event would not be possible. I would also like to thank Commissioner Painter for her assistance with bait distribution and braving the weather with us. The event, independent of the inclement weather (rain, cold, and windy) was a success. Many families attended with kids ranging in age from 4-ish to 15 years of age. A majority of the kids that attended the event caught fish with many families taking home limits (5 fish per child). According to the numbers from the car counter at Wood Dale, there were anywhere between 250 – 380 kids (depending on the estimated number of kids/car) that attended the event (8am – 12pm). I am fairly confident with this range of numbers as there were not many patrons using the perverse during that time period for other recreational activities. However, a solid estimate of actual event attendance would be 307 children. This number is based on the number of vehicles counted during the day multiplied by an average of 1.5 kids/vehicle (as the majority of observed families had between 1 and 2 children). This number is then multiplied by an assumed percentage (i.e., 80%) of patrons that were actually at the preserve for the event, and not for other recreational activities.  I have attached some pictures from the event (please excuse the photo quality as my phone camera is kind of busted).

As is always, please extend my gratitude to any staff or volunteers that I did not attach on this email. I hope you all have a great week, and thanks again.  

Respectfully,

Dan Grigas

Fisheries Ecologist

Office of Natural Resources

Forest Preserve District of DuPage County