Ron Kurasz has Passed Away

Scott Ferguson

It is with great regret and sadness, to inform you that our friend and fellow ISA member, Ron Kurasz (aka Ron K) passed away this past Sunday 2/18. Here is a letter from his brother Alan.

Hello to all of Ron's fishing buddies.

I am Ron's brother, Alan Kurasz, and i regrettably am informing you that Ron passed away this past Sunday, 02.18.18.  He suffered a massive stroke on Wednesday while at the Joilet Mall.  He never regained consciousness and after consultation with the neurosurgeon, he was taken off the ventilator Saturday night.  At first he was breathing on his own but on Sunday morning he passed.  We are having Ron cremated and are looking into a possible memorial service later this year.  i live in Indianapolis and am a CPA and we hare in the midst of our busy tax season.  

If there are other contacts that are not on this emailing list that you feel should know of Ron's passing, please pass this along.

Also, while i too enjoy fishing, i am nowhere near the expert caster that Ron was.  I am in possession of his fly rods and reels and while i plan on keeping a couple, i will likely try to sell these on ebay later this year.  If anyone would have an interest in any of his gear, i would certainly prefer to sell to someone who knew him.

If you have any questions, you can email me at: alan.kurasz@gmail.com or call my cell phone: 317-777-4884.  I have accessed his email as part of handling the affairs of his estate but any further correspondence should be directed to my personal email or phone #.

Alan Kurasz
317-777-4884

27 minutes ago, asherman said:

I am truly saddened by this news.  Ron was a great guy and a lot fun to be around.  He made fly fishing trips and ISA outings interesting and enjoyable.  I will miss him.  We will need to down some gin and tonics in his honor at the Blowout next week.

I'll make it a beer but I will raise one to Ron

This is very sudden and sad.  I was looking forward to seeing him at the Blowout.  We had planned to steelhead fishing in a few weeks.  We also planned to fish the Menominee and Alaska together later in the year.  I'd known Ron since I first  joined the ISA in 2012.  He is a great guy, great fly-fisher, and a great friend.  I'll miss you Bro!

I’m so sorry to hear this. We lost a great person and fly fisherman. What a gut punch, we became great friends over the years and fished the big horn in Montana last year and the upper Wisconsin with Abe Downs last August. I’ll miss his wit and wisdom, his social commentary and his fly fishing acumen.  Peace be with you Ron.

This is very sad to hear.  He was the reason why I joined this group when I met him a couple times on the river two months ago. I enjoyed his stories as much I enjoyed fishing, and he left me with a great impression. He was truly a master of his craft and an inspiration to many of us here. May he find eternal rest. 

Jude hit it. He had the face to go with it. I always got a kick out of that routine. Some may have thought his schtick was serious but it usually wasn’t.  He generally kept a sense of humor. Yes a longtime member who was always active. I will toast him with a gin and tonic also.  I heard rumor he could fly fish ok..