Lower Vermilion River Contamination

Thought I would start its own topic rather than inadvertently continue to hijack a previous thread.  A nice little video, about 6 minutes long that  better illustrates the problem, and btw, there are NO smallmouth in this river of any size so don't even think about it,  Ha  Btw, you may have to turn the sound up as there is audio.

Thanks Rob.  What a beautiful Illinois stream.  Dynegy must be held accountable and do the right thing to make the repairs and cleanup necessary to save this beautiful  stream for future generations to come.

Last weekend I traveled through Galatia, Illinois near the former Kerr Magee Coal mine in southern Illinois and was astonished to see the huge gob pile outside the mine that stretched for miles and miles.  Who will pay for the cleanup of this awful gob pile which must have a toxic drainage effect on local land and streams?

That original Illinois Power coal powered plant has been shut down for many years and stripped of much of its important processing equipment.  Because of its smaller size, it will never be used again.  Well you know the story, Illinois Power becomes Ameren which becomes Dynegy and now looks to become Vistra.  Nobody wants to assume ownership of these poorly constructed and potential liabilities and as I said, the clean up costs will be staggering.  And so Dynegy heads off to Springfield on a regular basis in order to get rates raised enormously for just keeping other downstate power plants open, let alone for clean up costs such as this, that will derive no income.

2 hours ago, Bart Durham said:

Thanks Rob.  What a beautiful Illinois stream.  Dynegy must be held accountable and do the right thing to make the repairs and cleanup necessary to save this beautiful  stream for future generations to come.

Last weekend I traveled through Galatia, Illinois near the former Kerr Magee Coal mine in southern Illinois and was astonished to see the huge gob pile outside the mine that stretched for miles and miles.  Who will pay for the cleanup of this awful gob pile which must have a toxic drainage effect on local land and streams?

Look at the tailings pond at the top portion of the screen.  It dwarfs the city of Galatia.

image.thumb.png.a3b4d1054e25e205b1189c417c23f7a3.png

image.thumb.png.47025b4d93806193ec1dfbb65bed9839.png

Jeez!!!

"Where do you want to put the coal ash pond?"

"I dunno. How about right next to the river?"

"Seems easy enough. Any mines or aquifers nearby?"

"Who cares, we'll probably be retired by the time any problems arise."

[ APPROVED ]

The Tribune article says this is near Oakwood, so Rob, is that located south of I-74? I was trying to get it into my head just where this is. It is such a pretty river and a great environment for so many different activities, I hate to see it anywhere along the river.

• 1 month later...

Here is a recent article from Michael Hawthorne of the Chicago Tribune with an update on the Middle Fork Vermillion Coal Ash Issue:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-illinois-scenic-river-endangered-20180409-story.html#share=email~story

• 3 months later...

It seems certain this won't help the Middle Fork coal ash issue:

11:36 a.m. ET

Acting EPA chief Andrew Wheeler, a former coal lobbyist, just signed his first major regulatory amendment — making it easier for corporations to discard coal ash however they see fit.

The Environmental Protection Agency on Wednesday finalized a rule that rolls back standards for disposing of the toxic ash produced by burning coal, The Hill reports. The amendment was in the works for several months, but when Wheeler took over for Scott Pruitt earlier this month, he took the reigns. Pruitt resigned as EPA administrator following a string of ethics scandals.

The amendment backpedals on regulations put in place by the Obama administration, which mandated strict federal standards for coal ash disposal in 2015. In a statement, the EPA said relaxing the standards would save $31.4 million a year in regulatory costs, as states are given authority to loosen or waive requirements for companies.

"These amendments provide states and utilities much-needed flexibility in the management of coal ash, while ensuring human health and the environment are protected," said Wheeler in the statement. Environmental groups disagree, reports The Hill, and immediately condemned the measure as dangerous to groundwater and air pollution.

Companies with lax standards may not be required to monitor whether coal ash leaches into surrounding groundwater and will have extended deadlines to reduce coal ash disposal. The EPA has also loosened pollution standards on acceptable levels of lead, lithium, cobalt, and molybdenum in groundwater. Read more at The Hill. Summer Meza

Stupid shortsighted useless... bleep..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................!!!

• 2 weeks later...