Some Sad News

Scott Ferguson

Long time ISA Member Norm Minas, has been dealing with cancer for a while now. Recently, his wife posted this update on Norm's health.

"This is so hard. This is Norm's wife....winner of all arguements and the one that gets sh*t done. Unfortunately Norm's cancer has spread to his lung. Had it not been for me argueing with the docs, they would not have sent him to the hospital. There they discovered he had pnuemnia blood clots and fluid surronding his lung. That's when the found the cancer has spread. He is now in a nursing home being made comfortable. And if that wasn't bad enough, he is suffering from dementia. That came out of nowhere. So in a matter of 3 yes 3 weeks he has gone from the love of my life to a bag of bones who doesn't remember his children and me occasionally. Now we just wait until his body has no fight left. Soon he'll be catching all the smallies he ever wanted"

Our thought's and prayers go out to Norm and his family.

Very sad news. Stay strong, Norm's family.

Twice he made it down to our fall outing but regrettably I never had a chance to fish with him either time.  While at breakfast beforehand, I was surprised at how well he knew the local waters, including a couple of hidden gems that many of the locals didn't know about.  Had a nice discussion on reading water where I picked up a few tidbits as well. I'm sure he will be missed and yet it reminds me just how thankful we should be each and every time we are able to stand within that river as both the current of time and water pass beneath our feet.

That's heavy news..... we've lost a great one. I learned an immense amount from my time and conversations with him about fishing and life. The sadness of this is lessened because I know his suffering is finally over. I find solice in knowing he'll be looking down on all of us with a smile when we step into the river to tug of war with the almighty smallmouth...... something tells me a part of his spirit will always be with me when I step into his home water.

"peace"

Norm was always ready to go fishing it didn't matter if it was hot or cold, low water or flooding. He always had a story. He knew the river, it  was hard to find a spot on the Kankakee that he didn't know about. He was persistent we'd be out all day in terrible conditions he'd never complain  then we'd catch something and have to stay out longer. One day a bunch of us are in a parking lot on the river in downtown Kankakee we'd had breakfast and were trying to figure out what to do  The river was flooded into the parking lot zero visibility. Norm walks over to a telephone pole the water was about a foot deep behind it drops his lure in and gets a really nice smallmouth. Oh man now we have to stay out and fish in this stuff all day. The last time we talked we had planned on going to the Blowout he was looking forward to it.All of you guys were very important to him. i think he was always trying new things to be able to share with other fisherman. Norm was a great dad, fisherman and friend.

Phil Fiscella

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2017 at 9:59 AM, Philf said:

Norm was always ready to go fishing it didn't matter if it was hot or cold, low water or flooding. He always had a story. He knew the river, it  was hard to find a spot on the Kankakee that he didn't know about. He was persistent we'd be out all day in terrible conditions he'd never complain  then we'd catch something and have to stay out longer. One day a bunch of us are in a parking lot on the river in downtown Kankakee we'd had breakfast and were trying to figure out what to do  The river was flooded into the parking lot zero visibility. Norm walks over to a telephone pole the water was about a foot deep behind it drops his lure in and gets a really nice smallmouth. Oh man now we have to stay out and fish in this stuff all day. The last time we talked we had planned on going to the Blowout he was looking forward to it.All of you guys were very important to him. i think he was always trying new things to be able to share with other fisherman. Norm was a great dad, fisherman and friend.

Phil Fiscella

That's a great story Phil thanks for sharing. 

So sad to hear about Norm taking a turn for the worse.  Speaking as somebody who goes way back almost to the very beginning of the club, there are few that did more to welcome new members, sponsor successful outings, and build the club up than Norm in the early days. When he stopped posting, I suspected the next news I heard would not be good, as he loved fishing and sharing his observations about it and his beloved Kankakee River, not to mention life in general. Both Norm and the family will be in my prayers. Seems like the old Kank  is without it's guardian without OL' Creekyknees prowling her eddies. God Bless you, Norm.