Lefty's Latest

Mike G

Here's an interesting conversation between Lefty and Dan Blanton. Be aware that it included some sobering events.

Though he has problems, Lefty's spirits are good. So prayers and best wishes for his future.
It is impossible to overestimate Lefty's importance for Smallmouth Bass fishing. He is a major force in promoting Fly Fishing for SM and LM Bass. Guys like him, Bob Clouser and many others got fly fishing out of its trout fixation. Sometime we ought to have a Lefty Fly swap.

Though I think of lefty as a great tyer, I rack my brain to find more than 4 patterns that are specifically Lefty's, the Bug, the Red and White, the Deceiver, and the Half and Half-a collaboration with Bob Closer. On the other hand, having four in my top ten is not so bad. My other six in no special order are the Blockhead,the Stealth Bomber, the Hairy Fodder, the Ultimate Worm, the Foxy Craw, the Clouser Minnow. Lots of runner ups.

Lefty kind of embodies the whole flyfishing thing, definitely a master of casting technique, knows his stuff about the actual fishing-everything from knots to reading water, and maybe not so much a creator of numerous original flies but rather how to make sure other patterns and materials are more effective..... just my take on the man anyway.

Did I ever tell the story about this acquaintance of mine getting a spur of the moment chance to fish smallies with Lefty one afternoon out east?

Lefty kind of embodies the whole flyfishing thing, definitely a master of casting technique, knows his stuff about the actual fishing-everything from knots to reading water, and maybe not so much a creator of numerous original flies but rather how to make sure other patterns and materials are more effective..... just my take on the man anyway.

Did I ever tell the story about this acquaintance of mine getting a spur of the moment chance to fish smallies with Lefty one afternoon out east?

No, Rob, you didn't. It sounds really interesting. What happened?

Mike, this now goes back at least 20 years ago so Lefty was no spring chicken even then, probably around 70. This gentleman I met was from Maryland and it's been so long I don't remember all the details of how they first came to meet, I think it was at a sports show years before but they ran into one another again and I guess Lefty was staying over for another day or so in the area, and so this fellow asked him if he wanted to join him on his boat that afternoon for some impromptu smallie fishing, and surprisingly Lefty agreed. I think they hit up the Potomac but I could ask him to be sure. Anyway, Lefty didn't have hardly any gear with him so he borrowed his host's rods. Lefty mentioned that he had worked with at one time or another just about every major rod manufacturer but he wasn't familiar with these particular rods and yet after only a couple false casts, Lefty had his rhythm adjusted and was drilling casts effortlessly. He couldn't believe not only the distance that he was getting but more importantly that he was hitting dimes out there on a very breezy day. The only flies Lefty used that day were some hastily tied poppers he had brought with him. He may have even finished hand tying them in the boat. Large white styrofoam pre-molded popper bodies with a few white saddle hackles quickly tied on. That was it. Over that afternoon Lefty pointed out areas on the stream that likely held fish (and did) which he had never noticed before and yet he had fished this area extensively. In the end he got "out fished" by Lefty but he had a great time and found him to be a truly warm and kind gentleman.

• 5 weeks later...