Hello

Mike G

“My name is Mike, and I am a fly-fishaholic.â€

By now I think that ISA has the check for my dues. Though this makes me legit, I should introduce myself before I get into the great looking topics on this forum. As I say in my statement, I am on a mission to do more fly fishing and I think this is the right place to come for that.

The sequence on my resume is correct. I caught my first fish on a fly when I was 5. I started tying flies when I was 12. I started fly fishing when I was 15. When I was 5, my father tied a Black Gnat on the toy pole I was using and showed me how to catch the Bluegills that swarmed under the dock. By the time I was 12, my room was filling up with model airplanes. My father thought that my dexterity would be better used if I tied trout flies and bass streamers for him. Finally at 15 I started casting my own flies.

I should have kept at it better than I did. However, like Rip Van Winkel, I slumbered through many years. Over the last 15 years I have been getting back into bass fishing, tying, and fly fishing. I now have 2 of my father’s bamboo fly rods, three of my fiberglass rods, and a starter collection of 2 graphite fly rods. I hope to be a rare percent of a percent. Only a small percentage of fishermen own fly rods and only a small percentage of those use them.

PS I was wrong. The last estimate I came across said that 60% of anglers owned fly rods. But only 1% used them regularly. This would say that 0.6% were regularly fly fishing while the rest of the fishing is done some other way.

Now I feel ready to get into the forum topics.

Mike

Guest One More Cast

[quote “My name is Mike, and I am a fly-fishaholic.”

Only a small percentage of fishermen own fly rods and only a small percentage of those use them.

Oh, there's way more of us than you would think. When the date for the Fly tying event is set, i hope you can join us.

Joseph

Welcome Mike G!

I think you'll find that there's a good percentage of us who are fly fisherman. Definitely try to make it out to our monthly tying meeting. And, plan on attending the Bassbugger fishing outings (check the calender).

Thank you Michael T and others who have replied. Thanks for the notice on the session. Too bad I will be out of town on business Monday. Nashville, someone had to go :rolleyes: