Water usage sticker requirements

Would the leadership entertain creating a petition to present to the IDNR? It would require the individuals that float are waterways in what amounts to pool toys to have a "Water Usage Sticker"?

I don't understand why this isn't enforced or required right now? Why do fisherman, kayaker and canoist have to purchase a permit, but anyone with a Wal-Mart pool toy does not? Frankly the past couple seasons the litter and under age drinking that go along with this our out of controll.

I'm talking the Dupage specifically here but I know you boys experience the same BS. Enforce these "watercraft" to have a sticker and I bet it addresses a lot of issues.

If there is no one available to police the under age drinking then who's going to police the water stamp?

call your local cpo , county sherriff , county forest preseve police, state police or local community on the underare partiers . one of them should take some interest .

Mark, I think what he is saying is that while those of us with canoes and kayaks have to have a stamp to float Illinois waters, weekend "tubers" can inflate a "pool toy quality" device and float the same stretch of water without any registration.

Mark, I think what he is saying is that while those of us with canoes and kayaks have to have a stamp to float Illinois waters, weekend "tubers" can inflate a "pool toy quality" device and float the same stretch of water without any registration.

I get that, but they would not have the opportunity to purchase one since float tubes probably don't have serial numbers and such. You can't really ban the activity of float tubing, because some people litter and make a mess. That would be a dangerous road to go down. By that logic fishing should be banned, because fishermen leave behind their garbage all the time.

Other than bringing in a little revenue registration would nothing to discourage teens form their pool toys. A cupl years ago I tried to get Will Cty to lift the stillwater ban on legitimate fishing inflatables to no avail. I pointed that they were actually safer than canoes or kayaks subject to tipping and that in the western states they were as common as jon boats are here. I also argued that in waters managed by the state ie Mazonia etc. fishing inflatables have always been allowed w/o incident.I'm sure the cty held to its stillwater ban out of liability concerns posed by the much less "seaworthy" pooltoys which makes no sense since requiring a moving current their use is pointless on stillwater.Trying to get bureaucrats to move is like trying to push big blocks of concrete up a hill.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not "dangerous" at all. If it doesn't have a hull ID number or a water usage sticker it doesn't belong. The danger is floating down a river with current while in a craft with which no means to control it whatsoever. With the tubers comes litter and underage drinking. This is a fact every river angler in our area knows and it directly impacts our river environment. I would like to know what the ISA leadership position is regarding this proposal?

I don't understand why this isn't enforced or required right now?

When the sticker first came out, it was written up so that tubers were included.

The tubing community through a hissy fit about it and got the DNR to drop the stamp for tubes.

http://www.mystateline.com/news/tubing-tax-fallout/156706634

https://fr-fr.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=492491260820484&id=101691346567146

Thanks Terry, It's a double standard. That's why I would like start the conversation and include the club's conservation Director. I know I'm not alone when I say I'm tired of picking up no less than three deflated pool toys and countless other garbage left behind by tubers. I cant believe it's 2017 and were having a littering debate.

• 4 weeks later...

No More Water Usage Stamp

Canoes and kayaks will go back to the 3 year registration. The Department will be able to move away from the WUS. To apply for a new registration, paperwork would be filed with the Department for a 3 year registration (cost is the same, WUS was $6 per year, canoe or kayak is $18 for 3 years). To renew, they can complete the process online, which usually only takes a week to arrive in the mail. Titling will remain optional for those who want it, but removing titling will speed up the new registration process significantly.

• 2 weeks later...

That is great news Terry.