Rain, Rain, Rain

Mike G

Way to go Terry thanks for putting the rain gods to work by catching your Brutus. I thought after 2 summers of not having much time to fish, this summer would finally make up for lost time and I can't even get on the water during my days off ?. As the Cubs fans used to say...maybe next year.

Dabbling?

dabbling in flooded crap can be very effective in high water events

I have tried it many times with no success. Quite frankly, I think it's some kind of a sick joke that some members get a laugh out of that I was actually

dumb enough to go out and try it. Same with the Float & Fly.

I have tried it many times with no success. Quite frankly, I think it's some kind of a sick joke that some members get a laugh out of that I was actually

dumb enough to go out and try it. Same with the Float & Fly.

Let's not forget the "fall feedbag".

FYI

Overnight 7/22-23 Two more inches fell, same location.

Look for current breaks near the entrance to parking lots. Submerged picnic tables are good. Drowned fire pits are best though hard to find in murky water. :(

To include in on the joke?

Yes....the mysterious "fall feedbag" that people go on and on about, that the Kish fish don't seem to be aware of.

Overnight 7/26-27 the Great Thunderer dropped another 1 inch 20 miles NW of Rockford. While the flood is receding there is still time to talk about the Feed Bag. Though the Fall Feed Bag is a myth, I believe in the Feed Bag. For bass the Feed Bag starts right after spawn and continues till the next spawn. All the fish have to do is eat to get ready to reproduce next time. I will get back to this theory soon.

The Feed, Part 1, Basic Fish Behavior

All fish activity can be explained with a simple model: "Eat to survive, survive to reproduce." A fish does not do anything that does not involve eating surviving, and/or reproducing. Some like bass do this over and over on an annual cycle while others like the Pacific salmons get only one spectacular three year cycle.

For all fish feeding occupies a large portion of the cycle. For bass it begins after the spawn is over and continues till the next year's spawn. Things like the summer peak, summer doldrums, Fall Feedbag, hibernation, and Prespawn are figures of speech to describe variations in the apparent feeding activity of the bass. Though the terms describe human activity almost as if they were seasons like Christmas and Easter, the bass are not having similar experiences. Their activity is not calendar driven. They react to water temperature, water clarity, presence/absence of bait, available oxygen, barometric pressure, and the solar angle as spring approaches.

That is the basic theory. Next I will explain why creative writers use figures of speech like Summer Peak and Fall Feedbag to spice up their articles.

• 2 weeks later...

The Feed, Part 2, Common Myths

Here I will use the Summer Peak, Summer Doldrums, and the Fall Feed Bag as examples. All three are terms that entered our vocabulary through Outdoor writers. The Summer Peak came from the Lindners. They talk about it as if it were a specific calendar period. But all it is is a continuation of the Feed continued. There is a pickup in bass feeding after they get over the stress of spawning which is heightened by an increase in water temperature to the Bass's favorite about 75 degrees F. As you can imagine this "Summer" Peak can happen in April down south.

The Doldrums are a common excuse for bad luck in late Summer. The Bass continue to feed but conditions make them move to places less accessible to the everyday angler. Bass move deeper to avoid the warm surface water. So I can't catch fish from easily spotted targets near the surface. Another doldrum scenario occurs in shallow lakes where the entire mass of water is heated into the high 80s. Fish become lethargic due to low oxygen levels. (In rivers turbulent water often supplies oxygen so the Doldrums might not even occur at high water temps.) One way or another I experience a period of tough fishing, and the guy at the bait shop blames it on the Doldrums.

That is all for now. I guess The Fall Feedbag will be in part three.