Craig"s new fly

Norm M

Rich

The current issue has step by step instructions in building it . i could pick you up a copy at Barnes and noble and mail it to you . PM your address if you want me to do so .

I seen it. It looks like a lot of work to fabricate the segments and a lot of specialized materials which Craig tells us are common in WA and OR fly shops.

I just finished a couple of variations on his Wild Hare that have a similar profile and might serve as well. So my challenge statement is,"How does this advance the science of fly design?"

I am keeping an open mind>

I seen it. It looks like a lot of work to fabricate the segments and a lot of specialized materials which Craig tells us are common in WA and OR fly shops.

I just finished a couple of variations on his Wild Hare that have a similar profile and might serve as well. So my challenge statement is,"How does this advance the science of fly design?"

I am keeping an open mind>

I knew Craig a long time ago from some of the early days of the ISA and I sat next to him at a few shows. Honestly I don't know if he would even remember me. Super nice guy in person. I never got the chance to fish with him but I had multiple people tell me that they have and he is really a fishing machine. So when it comes to it he is really up for the task.

He gave me a bunch of flies, that I still have and hand illustrated drawings of how to tie them. Really nice stuff, so nice that I did not want to fish with them. His fly tying and fishing is way over my head. My skill set ends prettty much at poppers and bugs and dumb fish will respond to random flailing.

One of the flies Craig did was one he called "Receding Hare". I had a lot of luck with that one, a black one. It's also pretty simple to tie.

Mark, you should fish the3K with me sometime - I use some of Craig's flies regularly & he has a number of highly effective patterns. The receding hare worm is one of them, the family of Wee Willy,Willy& Big Willy Wigglers subs for plastic worm fishing but durable enough to cast on the fly rod. I don't tie them as pretty as Craig but I'd be glad to share some.

Mark, you should fish the3K with me sometime - I use some of Craig's flies regularly & he has a number of highly effective patterns. The receding hare worm is one of them, the family of Wee Willy,Willy& Big Willy Wigglers subs for plastic worm fishing but durable enough to cast on the fly rod. I don't tie them as pretty as Craig but I'd be glad to share some.

Send me a pm when you want to go. It would help to have some around when I clock myself in the back of the head with one of those flies.

mike g sent me a copy of the article or should i say tech manual. his photos are excellent and his writting is outstanding. but his flies are too involved for me. besides if i want a few ill just swap some flies with him. john and i fished shabbona with him on july3 he fished that fly but did better with his spinnerbait/roadrunner imitation fly . rich mc

Bass Buggers owe a lot to Craig. He gave us several excellent patterns and was happy to share his techniques at Thursday Night tying sessions or whenever they were. To me two of his best were the Hairy Fodder and the basic Receding Hare Leech. then about 2 years ago he produced a Hybrid called the Wild Hare. I simplified it a bit by mounting my #02 wire double weed guard on the 60 deg section of the 413's shank and subbing gilt eyelash for the body. I skipped the extended body. (Bunny gets a bit soggy when there is a lot of it.)

Pictures in the making.

Craig was a wonderful asset to the ISA and in fact was the "Father" of the Bassbuggers forums here. He is a very creative fly tyer and though I generally don't use flies with hardware attached, I'm sure they'll catch plenty of fish. His Hairy (or Harry) Fodder is still one of my most productive crayfish imitations after all these years. Yea, good guy !