Dupage River Sweep, May 20, 2017

The Dupage River Sweep hosted by the Conservation Foundation will take place on May 20, 2017 between 9 am and noon. We, the ISA, have officially signed up to help with the cleanup effort. As I mentioned in the President's Page from the last newsletter I am challenging all ISA members to take part in a river clean up effort this year. This is a great way to start things off. Depending on how many members we can get to participate, we will plan to take certain sections of the river. I am most familiar with the Bolingbrook to Plainfield stretch and will plan to concentrate on this area, I know John mentioned he would like see some attention given to the Butterfield Road/McDowell Woods area of the river. I am planning of utilizing my Towee boat for the clean up effort. Our goal is to get 20 ISA members to participate and hopefully we can get more. Post here if you can help. The Conservation Foundation will be giving us final plans and instructions a week before the cleanup.

• 3 weeks later...

Reminder, the Dupage River Sweep is on May 20th, or 10 days from today. The Conservation Foundation is looking for a headcount for ISA participants for planning purposes. The event will take place on Saturday, May 20th between 9 am and noon along the entire stretch of the Dupage River. The ISA will be assigned a stretch of the river I am suggesting we take the Hidden Lakes area along the East Branch in Bolingbrook. So far we have 2 ISA members participating. Please accept my "ISA Challenge" and come out and help in this worthy project. Let me know if you can help or have any questions.

New ISA member JPalma just pm'd me to advise he will join us on the 20th. We look forward to meeting you at the River Sweep cleanup JPalma. The more ISA members we have helping out the more good work we can do. Let us know if you can help.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the gloomy weather it looks like we're still on for tomorrow! Attached is information from our liaison, Chris Hanley of the Bolingbrook Park District, setting our meeting point at Hidden Lakes Park in Bolingbrook at 9:00 am. Hidden Lakes is located just north of the intersection of Boughton Road and Schmidt Road in Bolingbrook. After you turn north on Schmidt Road from Boughton, follow the signs for Hidden Lake and follow the road that bends around the community garden, go down the hill and your there! We'll focus on the Hidden Lakes area which is on the East Branch of the Dupage River. Waivers will be available to sign before we begin. Bring your waders, rain gear and boots and mosquito repellent just in case. Any questions let me know. See you at 9 am!

Hello everyone,

It looks like the thunderstorms will hold off until the afternoon so we will be proceeding as planned with this year’s river sweep event. I have attached two waiver forms and a map of the meeting location to this message.

I will be at Hidden Lakes around 8:45am with extra waivers in the event that you are unable to print and sign the two I’ve attached here. I will also have gloves, garbage bags and some trash pickers available for you. If you have rain boots or waders feel free to bring them with since the river may be a bit higher than usual from all of the rain we have been receiving lately.

Please feel free to call if anyone has any questions before tomorrow morning. The event will go from 9am to noon.

I couldn't think of a better way to start my membership than attending this. I recently replaced my old waders so I have a new one to break in.

Looking forward to meeting you all. See you tomorrow.