This is not a political discussion

Roberts might feel comfy enough to retire...

I assume you meant Justice Kennedy, as Chief Justice Roberts isn't going anywhere for a long time. My feeling is that Kennedy will hang around long enough to mentor his young protege Gorsuch and then he might just step down now that he is more confident that the Trumster would in fact select another conservative. But I wouldn't bet on it because you don't often see justices step down because of the ego. Many felt that Ginsburg should have stepped down while O was in place to ensure her spot was filled with another more liberal judge. Didn't happen even with her failing health, hard to check that ego at the door. Ha

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you meant Justice Kennedy, as Chief Justice Roberts isn't going anywhere for a long time. My feeling is that Kennedy will hang around long enough to mentor his young protege Gorsuch and then he might just step down now that he is more confident that the Trumster would in fact select another conservative. But I wouldn't bet on it because you don't often see justices step down because of the ego. Many felt that Ginsburg should have stepped down while O was in place to ensure her spot was filled with another more liberal judge. Didn't happen even with her failing health, hard to check that ego at the door. Ha

No I was thinking Roberts. There were rumors flying around in the last month. I guess those have been put to rest. My bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Thus it begins

​Because of the damage, rules have been put in place to vastly reduce the amount of aquatic nuisances that are transported from one place to another. Since 2013, ships have been required to dump their ballast before entering the Great Lakes, although some organisms survive that process. But the American Waterways operators, a trade group, argues that having to meet both state and federal standards means the “added cost of superfluous regulations” hurts the industry’s competitiveness.

But the “Commercial Vessel Incidental Discharge Act” introduced by Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., would do away with federal laws regulating discharges from ships and would remove states’ power to act on their own to protect their aquatic ecosystems. Ballast water now is controlled under the Clean Water Act, but this bill would eliminate protections under the act, and limit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to an advisory role.

wa25plane08_12579715.jpg?w=419&h=300

The cockpit of a World War II-era dive bomber pulled from Lake Michigan in 2009 shows how invasive quagga mussels have proliferated in the lake. | Thomas Delaney Jr

Environmentalists and local leaders fear the law could be a Welcome Wagon for new alien plants, fish, eggs, viruses and bacteria, with devastating effects. Already, more than 180 non-native species have disrupted the ecosystem in the Great Lakes. It’s so bad that environmentalists estimate quagga mussels in Lake Michigan now outnumber the fish in all of the world’s oceans combined.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

One for our side

Whatever the driving force, the backlash to legislation from Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) that would have sold off 3.3 million acres of public land in 10 Western states was swift and fierce. Outrage erupted on Facebook and Twitter, advocacy groups urged supporters to bombard their congressional representatives’ phone lines, and a petition opposing the sale or transfer of public lands drew tens of thousands of signatures.

Less than two weeks after introducing the controversial bill, Chaffetz pulled it, citing concerns from his constituents. Advocates fighting to protect public lands celebrated it as a victory.

“The first takeaway is that the squeaky wheel still gets the grease,” said Land Tawney, the president and CEO of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, a Montana-based nonprofit dedicated to protecting public lands and preserving America’s tradition of hunting and fishing.

It really depends on how far a person cares to wade upstream in the political environment. Somebody still needs to guard these home waters, more than likely in spite of serious upstream concerns. The ISA doesn't change the world, but with the resources we're afforded to us, we sure do make a difference. I should probably mention the easiest way for our members and friends to do just that......

Bronzeback Blowout 2017.

Guarding our home waters isn't free.

Let's have some fun while we attempt to save the planet....

http://www.illinoissmallmouthalliance.net/html/blowout.php

Right you are Mike, size matters and numbers count. The more that support the I. S. A. the louder our voice is heard in matters of conservation. The Bronzeback Blowout is an opportunity to have an enjoyable outing AND support local conservation. Remember like politics conservation begins at the local level

The Bronzeback Blowout can be your easiest and most enjoyable way to make your voice heard for conservation both locally and nationally.

IT'S NOT TOO LATE!

You have to admire the speed this is going thru. No arguments.

Well done on the other side.

So what can I do if anything to oppose some of this stuff? I looked the other day on the congress site for environmental bills and it was pretty extensive. Is there a quick way to identify any of this?

So what can I do if anything to oppose some of this stuff? I looked the other day on the congress site for environmental bills and it was pretty extensive. Is there a quick way to identify any of this?

contact your elected representatives and let them know your position on conservation and do it often.

Take a lesson from both the tea party and the NRA. While they do not have overwhelming numbers they are both very vocal and persistent.

• 2 weeks later...

And then there is this, tho it has not been voted on yet: http://apachenativeamericans.us/2017/03/minnesota-wisconsin-and-wyoming-have-decided-to-eradicate-wolves/

The douchebaggery runs deep

And then there is this, tho it has not been voted on yet: http://apachenativeamericans.us/2017/03/minnesota-wisconsin-and-wyoming-have-decided-to-eradicate-wolves/

The douchebaggery runs deep

I know several dozen I'd like to eradicate...

Edit; I know that's not the answer. Just so flipping angry at the complete and utter idiocracy along with being scared they are really going to screw something up really, really bad.