My winter 2016-17 fly tying archive

phaaker

Ok, now you two have my wheels turning. I've looked at those hooks before with interest but couldn't find anything small enough for the flies I want to tie but now I did see similar hooks in size 2 and even one in a size 4 at Bass Pro website.

phaaker or Tom, have you guys fished with these, do they in fact pretty much ride point up and big belly shank down as it would appear? Have you ever wrapped that belly of the hook with lead wire and covered it with dubbing or a wrap in order to get it down deeper and ensure that the hook belly rides down? I'm thinking a craft fur minnow would work well with these and wouldn't require a bead chain to keep the hook in its proper orientation. I like the gap, hmmmmm.

Rich, don't you use this style of hook in your worm fly?

These are the flies I'm experimenting with. I want a largermouth bass fly that is easy to cast, can be fished thru heavily weeded areas, and can be dropped in pockets of lily pads. It is still in an experimental stage. I'm starting out with something very simple, in this case a wooly bugger with eyes. I tied the bugger on a tube, inserted a 20lbs mono thru the rear of the tube fly, and then tied down the mono at the hook eye. If it works as I had anticipated, then I'll tied them different styles.

post-1339-0-58605600-1484776783_thumb.jpg

post-1339-0-22678500-1484776798_thumb.jpg

post-1339-0-56383100-1484776809_thumb.jpg

Couple questions, does the rear hook have any materials bound to it or is it more or less a free standing stinger hook?

Also, have you caught any fish on this yet? The reason I ask is that several years ago I was tying slightly similar flies with Puglisi EP fibers and boy, did they look pretty in the vise and in the water, until....... the first fish and then materials would matt up and become tangled and even using a small comb made it difficult to get back to the original presentation. Just curious what your experiences have been?

Btw, that does look like it would again kill the LMB's in my local ponds.

Actually just took it out and caught a very undersized pike on it. It has materials on the back hook, buck tail, flash, sparkle brush and craft fur. The front hook is a craft fur and sparkle brush, craft fur wing and stacked dubbing head. It fly looks the same now as it did before the fish

• 2 weeks later...