How much time do we spend on the water?

Tim Smith

How much time on the water?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Please estimate the number of hours you spend on Illinois rivers and stream every year (fishing and not-fishing).

• 0 hours
    • 1-4 hours
    • 4-8 hours
    • 8-16 hours
    • 16-32 hours
    • 32-64 hours
    • 64-120 hours
    • over 120 hours

Trying to get an estimate of how much time we normally spend on the water as a group.

Really need input here, folks.

If we're going to consider doing volunteer monitoring work, having even this non-scientific estimate of the numbers of hours we're normally out in the field will be a huge help.

Tim

When I don't get to fish, I often hike and explore with my daughters. I would say that last year we spent 40 hours or more on some tributary in Illinois doing just that. Often they are the same streams, but that counts, right? 80 hours is pretty easy to hit for fishing time.

Put me in the 120 and over club. The all day marathon wades can add up the hours quickly. I find it very difficult to get all geared up, drive to a stream and only wade for a few minutes. There is always one more hole, one more set of riffles, one more rock pile, one more log jam and one more island around the next bend in the river. Of course, each river has one more bend in front of you as you end your day of fishing.

"....O.k. just a few more casts and then I'm going home.....oooh, that looks like a great spot!...o.k. a few more...hey, that log looks promising...o.k., just one...or two more..."

This is me trying to end my day.

If I tell my better half that I'll be home by 2:00...She knows I'll be strolling in at 3:00.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tim,

If this was an Ohio question I'd have no problem.

I range from 300-600 hours on just my home water of the Hocking River. Thats not counting others I sample. Annually I fish in the range 0f 500-900 hours just for smallmouth bass, alone.

I'm slow this year while concentrating on a home remodeling.

This is down from my seson best of 1100+ hours four(4) seasons back.

Tim,

Have a teenage son that lives & dies paddling & fishing helped to get on the water.

I drove he carried.

Now he has his own family and I have to work to get to the water.

I'll be fishing three days this weekend with son, brother and best buddy. Looking at least 26 hours of fishing.

• 2 weeks later...

My "short" wading excursions always turn into something else. I just have to see what is "just around the next bend". The next thing I know I've spent the whole day on the river and the lawn didn't get mowed AGAIN!!! lol. I kinda like it that way.

• 1 month later...

When you include time spent in a boat on the Kank, Calumet River, and the Ohio River my hours are over 120. Just wading would probably be less than 120. Good fishing. Paul