Need Your Help

Guest Schad M

Guest Schad M

Looked on internet for the Fly-O casting/practice aid. Wife's not to hip on $27.00 price and I already tipped her off so I can't buy one. Has anyone made ther own? What size yarn is on them? I have an old wooden handle ice pole that is fiberglass, not sure if that would work. What about the end section of your flyrod? Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

I've been desperate enough to make one out of yarn and the top half of a spinning rod. I think it was about this time last year. Can you say cabin fever? :blink:

What I found is that that you might have to tie a thick piece of yarn to a thin piece of yarn, essentially making a tapered leader. Yeah, and then I was rummaging around for some thick string to make a tippet... Sad really.

I also found that it's pretty much better to go outside to a snow covered park and cast to the snow trout. But seriously, casting outside is about a thousand times better than using a fly-o.

Hope that helps,

-jamie S

p.s. A 7'6" rod will work inside if you cast sidearm. Yeah, I figured that out last year, too. Then after knocking stuff over I figured I'd better head outside before I got in trouble... Thankfully spring was and is just around the corner.

Guest rich mc

i have several. one is the original and other just rod tips. once you can get the timeing down and do a complete stop to make the loop form , the lesson is over. its great for demonstrating to new casters but once the show is over go and duplicate it on the long rod.

I have used the yarn on a fiberglas light action spinning rod , a crappie rod and the tip section of a cane pole.

Oh! Outside is better but have used garage, pole barn and church hallway.