White Water the Vermilion

John Gillio

The flood pictures that I posted were taken at the same bridge as in the video. The river was running at about 40,000cfs. The water level was at about 14'. In the video the river was at about 4' and 3,500cfs. I'm not into white watering, but from what I'm told the river is at it's best between 1500cfs and 10,000cfs. This would be about 3'-8' of water. At about 3' the head of the wildcat is like a small waterfalls. I would guess the entire stretch would be a washout at anything above 8'. I prefer fishing it at under 2.5' or 500cfs. It's in a fairly narrow valley so levels can rise and fall at breakneck speeds. Crazy is a good word for it Eric.

post-1215-0-21987800-1366764264_thumb.jpg

I was in downtown Geneva yesterday and a woman came up to me and started chatting about the Fox River and how high/fast the water is. She pointed to the dam and said, "My son is into whitewater kayaking. Do you think he could go over that?"

:huh:

Had to do a little explaining about the hydraulics of a dam and what a "keeper" is.

• 3 weeks later...

I am told ,but have not witnessed for myself, that the large boulder that had been causing some problems for canoes and kayaks at the head of the wildcats since a landslide a few years back has been pushed aside enough by the high strong flows as to not be the problem that it was.

• 4 weeks later...

John, hows the Vermillion looking now? Hoping to do a kayak/fly fishing trip this summer.

John, hows the Vermillion looking now? Hoping to do a kayak/fly fishing trip this summer.

Bart, the water looks great right now. Still high enough to not have to drag the yak. Still very high in the lowest reaches of the river, but nice and clean.