tying tip

Guest rich mc

Guest rich mc

since we have alot of interest in tying with craft hair and ep fibers. ive read on another site that once the fly is tied the hard part is trimming the fly to shape. now tyers are spraying the fly with hair spray before they trim it holds the material in form . hair spray will wash off while casting it . rich

Here is another tip concerning stacked or spun deer hair. My father in law loves to make deer hair mice. Of course, you have to trim these as well. He has having great luck with very small, electric beard and mustache trimmers. I plan to pick one up very soon.............beats the heck out of using scissors or razor blades.

DSCF1380.jpg

since we have alot of interest in tying with craft hair and ep fibers. ive read on another site that once the fly is tied the hard part is trimming the fly to shape. now tyers are spraying the fly with hair spray before they trim it holds the material in form . hair spray will wash off while casting it . rich

Here is another tip concerning stacked or spun deer hair. My father in law loves to make deer hair mice. Of course, you have to trim these as well. He has having great luck with very small, electric beard and mustache trimmers. I plan to pick one up very soon.............beats the heck out of using scissors or razor blades.

My Sally Hansen's clear is getting low; so next time I am in the cosmetics aisle at Walmart I will pick some up along with some hair spray, and one of the personal grooming devices that Jonn mentioned.

Where would men be without women? We wouldn't be able to tie flies.

Nice tips guys, thanks.

But wait there's more tips from the hair salon.

531630_347532415347628_385114436_n.jpg

See how nicely shaped Bob Clouser's Clouser is on the cover of his book. But yours come out looking like shaving brushes like this one.

300px-BrownGoldWhiteClouserDeepMinnow.jp

No shame since your fly will catch fish for you every bit as well as the more shapely version. It just won't sell as well as the Pro's.

If you want the professional look, give it a salon styling. After the glue dries, shampoo it in warm water. Rinse well. Shape it into that classic minnow taper like the one on the cover of the book. Set it on a dry cloth or paper towel to dry overnight. In the morning you will have a photo ready fly. This works well on natural bucktail, fake fur, neck hackle, and saddle hackle and probably on other materials too. BTW to keep the cost down, I use the shampoos they give out at motels and hotels and save our good stuff for the little hair that I have left.

Yeah that photo clouser doesn't look like Bob's. definitely enhanced for book cover. Bob doesn't use that much material. He said less is better. I found that true last season. I had a clouser that was getting pretty beat up and didn't have much bucktail left on it. The worse it got the more smallmouth and pike would hit it.

Oh yeah! Spit curls.

To see a master in action watch this classic from 5:15 to the end. If you are not in a hurry the whole thing, bears rewatching.

A real Deceiver has Lefty's DNA on it.