Kayaks

Terry Dodge

Pretty much. A boat that tracks well stays on line as you paddle. Usually shorter boats don't track as well as longer boats. Shorter boats tend to get off line with each stroke as you paddle.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so by not tracking well you mean that the nose would probably wobble from side to side with each stroke of the yak stick, which would translate

into me using more effort and struggling to keep up with you in you torpedo Tarpon 120 much like I did in my 'toon? So I take it that tracking is an important

thing to consider if I plan to head up stream?

Okay, so by not tracking well you mean that the nose would probably wobble from side to side with each stroke of the yak stick, which would translate

into me using more effort and struggling to keep up with you in you torpedo Tarpon 120 much like I did in my 'toon? So I take it that tracking is an important

thing to consider if I plan to head up stream?

Don't get too hung up on tracking, on a river maneuverability is a definite plus

Even if its primarily a river kayak, tracking is important. Mainly because you will end up using it on still water at some point. Its not the most important feature for a river fisherman to consider, but should be taken into consideration. I would say spend the extra bucks on one of the first two. My Coosa is 11' something, and I wouldnt go shorter. Lose tracking, stability, cargo weight, and most importantly, space! But it is lighter, only benefit. I say 10' is too short, just me though!

I'm trading up my 14' Commander for a 12', I thought I would need that extra length for tracking and long paddels. Turns out the small county lakes and rivers are not ideal for this size yak. the 14 footer cuts acroos the water like a knife when paddeling to my fishing spot but once there it's like turnig a battle ship at times, I attributed this to it's length and the considerable keel.

I'm trading up my 14' Commander for a 12', I thought I would need that extra length for tracking and long paddels. Turns out the small county lakes and rivers are not ideal for this size yak. the 14 footer cuts acroos the water like a knife when paddeling to my fishing spot but once there it's like turnig a battle ship at times, I attributed this to it's length and the considerable keel.

Don't get too hung up on tracking, on a river maneuverability is a definite plus

All good replies. Just shows everyone has their preferences and opinions. Just make sure you try the boat before you buy. Be patient and find a good deal. A 10' - 12' kayak is all you need for the waters we fish around our region. Storage space is important if you plan on camping or extended trips but for local outings you really don't need take a bunch of crap with you. I'd go Coosa, Ride, or Tarpon. Those would be my top three picks.

Terry,

Don't forget the Chicagoland Boat show is in a week or so. PT will have a large pool for kayak testing. They carry lots of brands so if you can make it, you can sit in and try them.

I know it's not like a stream with current but at least it's in the water and if you bring your swimming suit you can check stability.....

• 3 weeks later...

Kayaks- I go cheap, short, light, discardable after punishment (cost benefit/analysis). Some people fall for a bit of the marketing, but in reality it just needs to float with you in it. LOL. Almost.

I like a very manuverable boat. The long boats 11'+ are very hard to turn,5 or 6 paddles to 180. My short, 9'4" yak 180's in two, maybe three strokes. That is VERY important in fishing for smb from a kayak. If I make mistake paddling I can easily get out of it in a manuverable boat. Lining yourself up to cast avoiding being sideways at the wrong moment. Short boats without much of a v-hull, allow me to point with minimal effort at what I am casting, change direction on a dime.

Remember, even the worst tracking kayak will be just fine in a river environment. That's an overrated feature. You're fishing, not racing. But if you cannot avoid that log with the heavy current ready to pin you because you bought a battleship...

Please don't think it is neccesarry to carry an antenae array of rods on your kayak. You'll just end up losing them at some point. Again, marketing. I usually fish with one rod (two in the Winter).

Shorter paddles can be better depending on the width of your kayak I typically use a 210-215.

Unless you are fishing really big water, or using the yak for camping and not fishing out of, most of us in the midwest can get away with 10'.

The kayak I use is 9'4" and about 36lbs SIK. Fits in my 2011 Prius with the front seat reclined and back seats folded down.

SOTs are much heavier, expensive, harder to modify, and sit higher in the water.

That being said, there are cool designs out so buy what you like!

.02$

Mr Terrill,

That is the best I have seen on the subject in a long time. KISS when it comes to a river fishing craft. All I would add is, "Don' t skimp on your PFD. Get a really really really good one."

May I ask a dumb question,

do many here fly fish from their kayak? Now I don't mean paddling to your spot, getting out of the kayak and whipping away but actually staying in your craft. I would think I could pull it off more easily with my spinning gear but just curious? Thanks

do many here fly fish from their kayak? Now I don't mean paddling to your spot, getting out of the kayak and whipping away but actually staying in your craft. I would think I could pull it off more easily with my spinning gear but just curious? Thanks

Rob, I have only used my spinning gear from the kayak. I'm still working at getting that down.

Rob, I have only used my spinning gear from the kayak. I'm still working at getting that down.

You know John, maybe I could pull it off if I used a STRIPPING BASKET so as to keep my line from getting fouled up.

I heard that ronk is a big fan of those. :lol:

Not a dumb question at all. The answer is: anchors. With fly fishing, especially rear anchoring, so you point downstream at your target and can control slack line and drift better. When I throw gear (always), I can either get out well before a riffle, or anchor in it, or above it before I 'crash' it. I've floated with many fly peeps and they throw a lot of topwaters when moving. If you go with a small one man canoe instead of a kayak, you could even bring two flyrods one for up and one for down below. Using the sinker when anchored and the up top stuff for when on the move.

You can always get a cheap rec kayak to see what you do and do not like about designs at small loss. The SINK yak I recommend for most is the Pamlico Wilderness Systems 100. It is light and has a very large cockpit, they may have been bought out, but most of us were buying those for a while on sale for 200-300$

Mr Terrill,

That is the best I have seen on the subject in a long time. KISS when it comes to a river fishing craft. All I would add is, "Don' t skimp on your PFD. Get a really really really good one."

Thanks. I cannot emphasize enough the kayak' hull shape is huge in how it will fish/handle. Try getting hung up on a snag above a riffle in a 11-14' v hull kayak, you can't break your line and you are headed for a strainer. Those 6 to 7 strokes to get your boat turned will use an incredible amout of energy.

Another thing about SOT kayaks to consider is people fall out of them much more easily. WHILE SEATED. I've seen this 6-7 times.Usually with loss of gear. The hull/hood of a SINK helps prevent this.

People wonder if they are stable-Yes

Lot's of "opinion" here.

Yes there is and I would like to thank everyone for their input.

What's done is done. I bought a Coosa. I was bouncing back and forth from the Coosa and The WS Ride-115.

I liked both yaks and was kind of leaning towards the WS Ride-115 and thought I was going to go with that so I could save a couple hundred.

Being that this is what I consider to be a large purchase, I informed my wife that I would be getting the Ride. She was a bit surprised. She has listened

to me talk about getting a Coosa for a couple years. We stopped by Rutabaga's in Madison and I showed her both kayaks.

She liked Jackson's color options better than what WS offered. The Coosa was ordered in Blackwidow. Sorry Eric.

It should be here by the end of March.

Being such a large purchase I gave her the power of color choice.