Free Tying Materials

Mike G

Rich gave me a tip that I want to pass along.As the weather and waters cool, our thoughts turn naturally to Float’n Fly fishing.

smokeshad.jpg

Time to tie some up. The “flies” popularized by the likes of Charlie Nuckols and Bob Coan are small jigs traditionally made of Troll Hair, AKA fake fur.

There is website where you can get free swatches of fake fur.

http://www.distincti...php?cat=LONGFUR

They have a lot of different furs to choose from. I went ahead and got five free swatches, Husky Fur (grey), Extra Long Fur burnt orange). Brandy Fox (brown),Monkey Fur (black), and Sparkle Fur (lime).

I am glad it was free so I could try a few different types. Not all of them totally good for tying. It turned out that the Sparkle Fur was far and away the best with fibers a full 4 inches long and minimal fluff under fur. The Sparkle is achieved by plugging in a few metallic strands about every inch. Though the strands could be removed, I would leave them in since I usually add flash to wings anyway. Sparkle fur comes in a good range of colors.

sprfur1-1.jpg

You can learn from my mistakes. Mistake 1, the Husky Fur was usable only because it offered some black tipped guard hairs about 3 inches long that could be teased out of the heavy under fur. Mistake 2, the Monkey Fur swatch was very matted and required some work with a comb to straighten the fibers about 3 inches long. Once that was done the fur is usable though the color selection is limited to black or white. Mistake 3, Extra Long Fur was disappointing. Even combing did not cure the matted hairs. Fibers about 2 inches long can be teased out of the dense under fur. Mistake 4, Brandy Fox was my worst mistake. The longest fibers were barely 1.5 inches long.

duckbgt.jpg

Go get your free swatches now. If you need some inspiration on patterns to tie, visit the Punisher Lure site.

http://www.punisherl...t-fly-jigs.html

Yes, I mean a fly tying contest. There could be more than one if the first draws any interest. I see three, a Float'n Fly (1/16 Jig), a subsurface fly like a streamer or nymph, and a floating fly like a popper or diver.

Now I have to figure out some rules. who will be "da Judge," etc.

• 1 month later...

No Muppets were harmed collecting this fur. Here they all are: Elmo Red, Ernie Orange, Bert Yellow, Kermit Green, Piggy Pink, Count Purple, Cookie Monster Blue and a host of others.

DSCF1175.jpg

By getting other family members involved I collected 15 swatches at no cost. Now I will figure out a contest.

Another great, new product is faux fox. It is a synthetic (fake) fur that comes in hank form and is quite long. It is very, very much the same as craft hair/fur. I purchased three hanks from Pat up at The Fly Fishers. You get quite a bit for the price. If you get some, make sure you don't cut it from the hank. Instead, grab the ends of the materail and pull. After you have pulled out a pinch, the material naturally tapers on one end. What is nice about this product is the length. While you don't need it real long for fnf, it is nice to tie some larger fly patterns. I will have some fnfs for the fly rod tied to see/buy at the show utilizing this material. In addition, I have a streamer pattern that utilizes this longer craft hair and some flashy dubbing near the head. This streamer is my version of Rich Strolis' Beach Comber fly.

Here is the link to Faux Fox

http://www.theflyfishers.com/fly-shop-details.asp?cat=Synthetics&ID=40&pID=1214

Guest rich mc

i have seen and heard alot of good things about the faux fox most are making dubbing brushes out of it there is a video out from cascade tools on making brushes and some flies

• 5 months later...

If you liked the sparkle fur Distinctive now has it available in 1/3 and 1/2 yards. Since the fabric is 65'' wide, the 1/3 is equal to 46 5 X 3.5 inch swatches.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/LuxuryFauxFur/search?search_query=Sparkle&order=date_desc&view_type=gallery&ref=shop_search

sprfur1_lime.jpg

Rich gave me a tip that I want to pass along.As the weather and waters cool, our thoughts turn naturally to Float’n Fly fishing.

smokeshad.jpg

Time to tie some up. The “flies” popularized by the likes of Charlie Nuckols and Bob Coan are small jigs traditionally made of Troll Hair, AKA fake fur.

There is website where you can get free swatches of fake fur.

http://www.distincti...php?cat=LONGFUR

They have a lot of different furs to choose from. I went ahead and got five free swatches, Husky Fur (grey), Extra Long Fur burnt orange). Brandy Fox (brown),Monkey Fur (black), and Sparkle Fur (lime).

I am glad it was free so I could try a few different types. Not all of them totally good for tying. It turned out that the Sparkle Fur was far and away the best with fibers a full 4 inches long and minimal fluff under fur. The Sparkle is achieved by plugging in a few metallic strands about every inch. Though the strands could be removed, I would leave them in since I usually add flash to wings anyway. Sparkle fur comes in a good range of colors.

sprfur1-1.jpg

You can learn from my mistakes. Mistake 1, the Husky Fur was usable only because it offered some black tipped guard hairs about 3 inches long that could be teased out of the heavy under fur. Mistake 2, the Monkey Fur swatch was very matted and required some work with a comb to straighten the fibers about 3 inches long. Once that was done the fur is usable though the color selection is limited to black or white. Mistake 3, Extra Long Fur was disappointing. Even combing did not cure the matted hairs. Fibers about 2 inches long can be teased out of the dense under fur. Mistake 4, Brandy Fox was my worst mistake. The longest fibers were barely 1.5 inches long.

duckbgt.jpg

Go get your free swatches now. If you need some inspiration on patterns to tie, visit the Punisher Lure site.

http://www.punisherl...t-fly-jigs.html

• 3 weeks later...

Our favorite source for fake fur has added some more fly friendly colors. Their Extra Long Fur now comes in Sage (light olive), Dark Brown, and Camel (tan). Though not as long as Sparkle Fur, I have found a lot of uses for this size on smaller flies and jigs.

http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric.php?product=EXTRALONGFUR1