gulp alive

Joe D

have you guys seen the new gulp alive products that come in their own little "bait bucket"?? I have had alot of success with the gulp products and I think the leech pattern is gonna be a killer on the smallies this season. what do you guys think? I love the minnows they have, thats what I've done the best with. I plan to do alot of fishing them under a float with my centerpin this year, that is gonna be a dy-no-mite presentation to the smallies!!

Joe

I've used Gulp products in the past and have had a lot of success with it. The last package I bought were leeches. I forgot that I'd bought them and left them in the back of my vehicle during the summer. When I found them it looked like a bagful of black goo. Not Gulp's fault, just me being stupid. I've seen the Alive products but haven't bought any. I'm afraid with as much as I fish, if they worked that well I'd be broke in a month. Kind'a costly but a good product.

yep, that little bait bucket is $20! but at this point I'm in so deep whats another $20??

Joe

At least with this version you can put the bait back in the bucket and re-use it later.

I haven't been a fan of Gulp products since the time we were running low on Senkos and tried some of the Gulp sinking minnows. The Senkos were getting hits on every cast. We watched fish swim up to the Gulp bait, then swim away. When we switched back to Senkos, it was back to a fish on every cast.

I had my doubts about bait that actually repelled feeding fish.

I fished a lot of the gulp alive minnow last fall and I made a few observations. I did not see an increase in smallmouth catches over other products. Smallmouth are sight feeders mainly so this makes sense. I did catch some decent smallmouth on them so I didn't think they repel smallmouth. I did see an increase in catches of other species mainly walleye and catfish. I was able to fish this plastic tight to wood where jig and minnow would have been difficult. The results were some nice walleye and catfish on plastics.

The other field test was in Canada. Our outfitter delivered our live bait to a different camp. The guy with the gulp alive did significantly better on walleye than regular gulp or regular plastics.

If using GULP, DO NOT put it back in the bag or bucket with other unused GULP products.

You'll contaminate the entire bag or bucket.

I learned the hard way, when it first came out. I ruined several bags of the stuff and had to pitch it all out.

I had to try it because of all the hipe the company was making about its new invention.

I've had several bags of GULP products, that dried out! and they went in the dumpster.

On several fishing outings, comparing a GULP product to a Yamamoto Senko, worm, or other Yama products---

Yamamoto products outfished GULP.

I've had fish follow a GULP worm, however, the fish kept a distance back---as if the fish was only sniffing it, but wouldn't commit. Another angler would cast a Senko toward the fish, the fish would turn and soon took the Senko!

I've witnessed this occurance, several times.

Some anglers do well, fishing GULP products.

If you have confidence in a bait, and are catching fish, stick with it, 'til something better comes along.

Sorry but Gulp just doesn't do it for me . It has not been better than other baits as a matter of fact it has under produced in my field testing . It actually caught more clams than fish .

When you add that to the price and the PIA handling factor , it doesn't make the grade .

However if you have confidence in it , by all means use it .

I experimented with the original GULP crawlers in a pond full of bluegills on a feeding frenzy.

Put one hook/float out with real crawlers, one with GULP brand....3 feet apart.

They practically jumped out of the water to get the real crawlers before they even landed.

These fish wouldn't even touch the GULP.

It just sat there, with nary a movement of the float.

Maybe on the bottom?

Not a tug.

I was finished with it before I even started.

Pitched the rest of the bag.

They claim it's biodegradeable, which I suppose gives it some merit. Probably a good direction to go for the environment.

Good point.

I can't speak for any of the rest of the product line, but figure real live crawlers beat anything made of plastic ( or biodegradable materials of some kind) if you've got kids and need fast action.

;)

I will back up the statements made regarding the sinking minnows. They are trash. I was fishing senkos in a central minnesota smallmouth lake and dredging up 18-21 in. bucketmouths, mostly by sightfishing docks. Well as anyone who fishes senkos knows, they dont last long. ran out and went into town to the bait shop/gas station. They had no idea what i was talkin about when i said senko. i described it and they said gulp makes one. bought them went back to the lake and nothing. I was looking at the fish and nothing. went an extra 30 mi. to the next bait store and this one knew what i was talking about, but he just found out about them the day before. had some on order for himself and was nice enuff to let me buy some when they arrived the next day. Wudda ya know the fish started biting again.

Senko's today are the rage in this area.

I'd been fishing Senko's a couple years, before anyone in the Chicago area knew about them or what they were.

When I'd ask anyone around this area about them, or was showing them, most thought I was speaking Japanese.

Some stated, "you expect to catch fish on that thing"?, "Looks like a "trick BIC pen", some clowns would use".

Today with the internet, news travels a lot faster.

Wisc is further north, and it often took a year or two, to get the news from Chicago to Wisc.

Many new products in use in the SW region of the USA,

takes a year or two for it catch on in the Chicago area.

Don Iovino's "finesse rubber legged jigs" are a super bait, fishing light line, for catching smallies.

Attach a small plastic pork style bait or a 2" baby crawbug as trailer---smallies eat 'em up.

Don't see them around the Chicago area, in any tackle stores.

NO---mine are not for sale.

Perhaps the news hasn't got here yet.

There are some "knock-offs" of those jigs around. Anglers in the know have great success with them.

They claim it's biodegradeable, which I suppose gives it some merit. Probably a good direction to go for the environment.

Yes, the OEM claims its biodegradeable.

When the GULP dries out in air, it shinks in size and gets hard.

I've had some of that stuff dry up in a sealed bag---and the bag was not opened.

I've seen GULP products lay in shallow water, along the lake and river bank for several days, and it still was visible.

Even the ducks or geese didn't pick it up------or,

it already passed thru.

Some GULP products are already showing up in "dump bins".

Several NEW GULP products have been introduced for '08.

The OEM puts tons of money in advertising and endorsements in GULP products, and they're really pushing it.

have you guys seen the new gulp alive products that come in their own little "bait bucket"?? I have had alot of success with the gulp products and I think the leech pattern is gonna be a killer on the smallies this season. what do you guys think? I love the minnows they have, thats what I've done the best with. I plan to do alot of fishing them under a float with my centerpin this year, that is gonna be a dy-no-mite presentation to the smallies!!

Joe

I have been using the Gulp worms, natural and chartreuse, for the last year and a half and have had excellent success...with walleye. I pinch it in half and slip it on a jig and twister tail combo. On several occasions, I outfished guys using jigs and minnows. My best day resulted in a 26, two 17 inch and several 14 to 15 inch walleye. This morning I landed two keeper walleye and missed several others. I also caught one small one and missed one using the Gulp alive minnow. All this was on the Kankakee.

As for smallies, the success has not been as good. I popped a 15 incher rigging a gulp worm "wacky worm" style. I have picked up several others, but I would say it was no better than other tactics i have used. The worms will dry out if the package is not zipped up properly. I make sure mine are closed tight. No complaints here. I just stocked up on both colors on my way home.

Never tried a senko, but I am growing very fond of super flukes fished on a Falcon Lures weighted hook. Great on the smallies, and one 17 inch eye who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

wow what a wide range of opinions. like alot of things nobody is right or wrong its just their opinion. gulp has worked well for me, but thats me. I know a fast growing secret is the 3'' power bait trout worm in pink has been killing the steelies in the creeks under a float. I even seen it on youtube. but hey if it works for you go with it, if it dont then dont waste you money. I was just wondering how everyone else did with it. good fishin to all

Joe

The only Gulp product that I have used that has worked well has been Gulp leeches, which have worked great in for Walleye fishing. Regular plastics work well enough for smallies, so I don't bother with smelly Gulp products for that type of fishing.

I would think that the Gulp Alive leeches would also work well for walleye. Leeches are pretty expensive to buy in Canada, so using Gulp leeches there makes the cost a bit more palatable.

Price is prohibitive, and if you are going to carry around a bucket of liquid, why not just fish the real thing? What is it like almost a .75 a minnow on those things? Eeek. No way that compares to a 200 fish Sammy.

I think there are many better options. Action+ Presentation+Location=More and bigger fish.

One of my largest smallies I ever caught was on a GULP sinking minnow but the

fact of the matter at the time I think most anything would have worked.I had spotted

a feeding fish chasing minnows and I just happened to be trying this bait for the first

time.That fish was all over it the second it hit the water.Other than that I can't say that

the bait has performed any better than any other plastic.

This spring I'm going to run a comparison test fishing for crappies.Using a drop shot

rig with two hooks-one with live minnow and one with GULP minnows. I'll let you know

how it turns out.

Lots of OEM push and advertising of GULP products.

One of the main reasons for the "push"---

some states are and will be banning bringing "live bait" over the border(s),

either across state lines or into Canada.

Some states are banning transporting live bait to lakes or transporting live bait from a lake.

• 2 weeks later...