2012 Water Willow Planting on the Fox River

On Saturday July 7th we will once again be doing our annual water willow planting on the Fox River. This year we will be planting an area in Batavia, we will meet at 8am at the Glenwood Forest Preserve (1644 S. River St., Batavia). We will plant several areas and should finish up in time to grill up some lunch and hopefully get a bit of fishing in. This is a great chance to give back to the river and provide better habitat for our beloved smallmouth! In the case of severe weather or high river conditions, the make-up date will be Saturday July 21st.

Please post here if you plan to attend!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright, I have ordered the 1000 plants and they are set for delivery the morning of July 7th. We have a slight change in the meeting location.

John L. was able to reach out the the local VFW in Batavia and they will allow us to meet and plant from their building on the Fox. It is just down the street from Glenwood Forest Preserve and the address is as follows:

VFW Post 1197

645 River St.

Batavia, IL 60510

If you plan on attending please note the change in location and let anyone else you know that might be coming of the change.

We are still looking for a lunch sponser, so if anyone has any leads/ideas please let me know. Otherwise we will probably just grill some food up after we finish planting.

I hope to see as many people as possible!

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to remind everyone of the planting this Saturday and let people know that this is an open event. You don't have to be an ISA member to attend and help out. If you know someone or have a fishing partner that is not a member please feel to bring them along.

"Many hands makes for light work!"

They are forecasting a bit lower temperatures (High of 91) for Saturday, the more people we have, the quicker we finish up before it gets too hot. A hot dog lunch will be provided and we will try and get some fishing in afterwards as well.

Checked it out this morning with Eugene. The river is low but clear/green & we both caught a few. We can drive to the ramp at rivers edge to park. By the way last year I caught my seasons largest smallie just a ways downstream - 19" - there are some good fish in there. See you tomorrow, the fish will thank you.

• 1 month later...