Simple Kayak

John Gillio

This is a far cry from the nice kayaks that have been posted as of late. I have a canoe that has gotten some solid use over the past 30 years but at 67 pounds plus seats, gear , etc. it is a bit heavy for low water times on my favorite little stream. My Pelican Patomac at $199.oo and 37 pounds, plus a little customizing with a circular tackle box, two rod holders, two paddle clips, two swim noodles, some outdoor two sided tape, velcro, rope, and a cushy seat at a total of $50.00 is suiting me just fine. It was a bit tipy on the first outing . That's where the noodles came in. It looks a little funky, but it is now very stable and tracks quite well.

post-1215-0-42332400-1335321865_thumb.jpg

It should portage easily and pulls easily through the shallows. It seems just right for how it is used. It has been on 4 outings to date. All were successful outings.Today was the first outing of this year. The water was quite low but it allowed me to reach some spots that I wouldn't have reached just by wading. It just so happened that those were the spots that held fish on each outing.

Nice yak, I am putting together a Pelican on the cheap as well. $199 for a Apex 100 at Meijer and a few bucks for some rod holders. After the Kish outing and seeing how well these guys can move in a yak, I knew I needed one. I have my 17' canoe on that trip and it was fine with myself and ericg in it, but alone it is just too big. I don't know if I would even know the difference between my budget yak and a more costly one at this point in time.

The noodles are attached with a heavy duty mounting tape that I picked up at Menards. I cannot recall the brand name. I wish I could because it has been on four outings and shows no sign of coming off. The plan is to hold them in with a couple screws and washers if the tape begins to fail.

The noodles have made the Kayak very stable, but I doubt that it is as stable as a kayak like Eric or Jim has. I haven't tried to stand in it, and I have no wish to. I can lean over the edge without feeling like it will tip. I wouln't have felt comfortable doing so before the noodles went on.

The extra paddle could replace the other if needed, though the other floats too, because I have it filled with styrofoam. I like it because it is easier to handle with one hand when I want to make adjustments on a drift. It also has a tape measure on it for easy measurement of the big boys. The yak paddles have velcro strips the hold it in place so it doesn't slide around when I'm fighting a fish. The cushy seat is also held in place with velcro and is very comfy.

So far, I like it too.

It allowed me to reach spots I couldn't have just be wading...

Yes, that is the deal. Having something you can use to get to fish you otherwise would have missed.

Nice job on the kayak!