Float the Kish

The N.W. Region has a Kishwaukee River float trip coming up on Sunday, April 22nd.

http://illinoissmallmouthalliance.net/forums/index.php?app=calendar&module=calendar&section=view&do=showevent&event_id=561

I wanted to post this early as I will be out of town next weekend (April 13-16)

Water levels are at record lows for this time of year with no real weather threats upcoming.

The bite should be on and hot (see forum smallmouth reports)

The plan for this outing will be to do a bit of floating and a bit of wading.

See the float route by clicking on the route address in my signature.

The planed route would take about 4.5 hours on a straight float, add in some wading and we are looking at 6+ hours.

Cool! Not that there's anything wrong with old blood, but it sure is nice to see some new blood in the N.W. region. Look forward to meeting you guys!

Weather Watch: (The Jude curse is upon us)

There is rain and storms forecasted for the area begging April 13 thru April 18.

If the water levels should reach a point that I feel may be unsafe, this trip will be rescheduled for a later date.

I have been keeping a close watch on the Kish water levels for about 5 years now and know how fast the Kish can rise and

how long it will take for the levels to recede.

I should know for sure by Wed. April 18, if this is a "GO" or "NO GO".

Keep your fingers crossed and kick the crap out of your Jude Voodoo Doll if you have one.

At this time the Kish is the lowest and clearest that I have seen in the springtime for several years. I think the ground will soak up most of a good rain. I look forward to taking my canoe out for the st time this year.

I'm in!

Do I need to explain further?

Weather Update:

Storms moving into the area today with moderate to heavy rain falls.

It looks to me that these storms could move north of the area. We'll have to wait and see.

Todays weather (the next 24hrs. from 9:30am. on 4/19 to 9:30am. on 4/20) is the "do or die".

I'm attending the outing. I don't think we will get too much rain. I guess we will know soon enough. So we are meeting at the cafe in Cherry Valley at 8:00? Man, you guys must like to sleep in. I'll have to do a couple hours of shore fishing before we meet:) Rain Rain go away.....

I am hoping to make this. I will be bringing a 17 canoe and have room for one more person. Couple questions. It's been awhile since I have done much river canoeing, what kind of water can I expect (I know there are no real rapids)? I'll have a drag chain rigged, will I find it useful on this stretch? How deep is this stretch? (I know rainfall will impact this). Will we be stopping and wading or is all the fishing going to be from the boats? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be prepared.

I hope you're right about the rain, Tim. If we don't get much rain, by Sunday we should be in decent shape. Not as low as I like, but doable.

Jon, I've never floated this stretch, but Terry has. Terry works 2nd shift, so don't expect a response from him 'til late tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm sure there will be a lot of fishing from the boat, but I'm pretty sure Terry plans on some stops along the way. The only thing I know for sure is "Country Breakfast, eggs over-medium, crispy hash browns, wheat toast."

Wheat toast is healthier. Besides...smothering it in gravy takes away some of the dryness.

You'll be smilin' Sunday, Jon. The Country Breakfast to which I referred includes biscuits and gravy. The best I've been able to find around here.

I am hoping to make this.I will be bringing a 17 canoe and have room for one more person. Couple questions. It's been awhile since I have done much river canoeing, what kind of water can I expect (I know there are no real rapids)? I'll have a drag chain rigged, will I find it useful on this stretch? How deep is this stretch? (I know rainfall will impact this). Will we be stopping and wading or is all the fishing going to be from the boats? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be prepared.

Jon, Do you need someone in your canoe with you? Not sure if we have anyone looking to hitch a ride.

1) This type of water is of the wet kind. It is also normally calm and smooth but with the rain last week it is up just a tad and moving a bit fast.

2) I'm not sure how a drag chain works so I'm not sure if it would be useful.

3) I would say with figuring in the rain and all that we're going to be in an average of 3 to 6 feet of water.

4) I guess that will be up to each individual. I do plan to stop and wade a couple areas.

5) The breakfast Mr. Jude speaks of is a good breakfast. But know this my fellow smallmouth brothers..........

Jude don't know crap about biscuits and gravy. He only eats at this place because it's just a couple stumbles and staggers

out the Backyard Bar & Grill front door. Next time we'll do breakfast at the best B&G place in town. :wub:

Tim, Sorry about the late start. It's going to be a bit nippy Sunday morning. The high for the day is only suppose to be 55, plus some of us are old.

Check the map on my signature for directions to the Cherry Valley Cafe.

PaulT - Are you in?

NateD - Are you in?

Eugene - I have you in my notes, are you interested?

New member here, I would love to go along if I can hitch a ride in that canoe mentioned above. I am recovering from shoulder surgery 10 wks ago and the Physical Therapist says I can't paddle my new Coosa that far yet by myself. I do have quite abit of canoe experience and can paddle just not the whole way. Let me know if there is room for me.

PM sent

ericg