What new lures are you going to try this year?

Mark O'Donnell

I'm going to try to resist the urge to spin fish and concentrate on improving my fly casting. If conditions force me to spin fish, the one lure that I have neglected and may try is the spinnerbait. I'm thinkin' white for some reason. :lol:

O.K. Where do I begin?

I'm going to give those Yo-Zuri hardcore cranks and crystal minnows a spin.

Learn how to use my baitcasters and do the pepsi challenge with powerpro and cortland masterbraid...

I have not decided wether I like mono or braid so I'm going to give the mean green a try on my spinning gear too.

Keep using those bunny strip jigs 'cause they produced my best fish (out of the Fox) last year.

Pick up a gunfish ($15...ouch) or those other new Yo-Zuri's (wack-o, jerk-o).

A couple guided trips.

And invest in a Tals pack.

That ought to keep me busy. I might even get that fishy smell on my hands.

Guest rich mc

c-b lures doesnt have his website up since his normal job is running him over 70 hrs a week andd he wont have time to keep up with an increase in orders . he will be at the blowout with two buddies . i used the cortland braid[spinning reel] this past year . only drawback i see is that some knots get pulled so tight they cant be pulled apart. this may be a problem with most braids too .rich

Hi ISA Guys,

For 2007 I am going to try the Gambler little Otters, the new Mister Twister Leech lure, and some of the top water things John Graham likes (Gunfish/Sammy's).

If you are going to try something new this spring, what is it?

Mark O'Donnell

I'm going to go with a fly rod this year. also one of the hellgramite plastics I picked up at the baitshop in batavia. My brother loves using poppers so I may try that as well. I wonder how a fly popper would do?

I am going to try a few Suspending Lures this Winter for Bass on Table Rock. They have been using a Clown Color Rogue. I saw a Picture where a guy got a monster of about 9lbs. on I believe it was Tuesday or Wednesday.

I plan to continue my experimentation with the new plastic swimmin' frogs. Tried them last year and did have a couple of nice afternoons throwing this bait. I like the fact that you can throw and buzz it across the top of the water like a pure topwater, or you can let it sink inches under the surface and pull it that way. So far, both ways have worked for smallies.

Right now I prefer the Sizmic frog due to their choice of sizes.

2ed7e6w.jpg

2en81ae.jpg

I want to give the new powerbait beast a try.

249-522-01-t.jpg

I've always liked powerbaits and this is their replica of the beaver style lures. It looks like a good flippin' lure to work with a slider close to shore in high muddy spring water. I don't know if it will be as good as the original powerleech but it has a similar big fish profile.

If the water is clearer this spring I want to give my rapala x-raps a try. I had them in the tackle box last year but I never committed myself to using them.

Once summer patterns settle in I'm stickin with the old faithfulls. Too many proven lures out there to waste time with ones that could be productive.

Speaking of expensive crankbaits, can anyone tell me why luckycraft cranks are so expensive? Too many pike in some of my waters to throw those around at $15-$20 a pop.

Learn how to use my baitcasters and do the pepsi challenge with powerpro and cortland masterbraid...

I have not decided wether I like mono or braid so I'm going to give the mean green a try on my spinning gear too.

I like the handling of the McCoy better on my casting rod than my spinning rod.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This year, it's only going to be 2 "new" lures for me. This way I don't start overpacking again!!!

The Berkley Blade Dancer in 1/16 oz size on the little creeks near me for starters. Also, an old standby

of Green bassin'; the buzzbait.

These are spring early summer options and early morning instead of always throwing a baby Chug Bug and

Rebel Pop R's.

Once the sun rises in the summer, it's back to polishing rocks w/ the weighted Keeper Hooks and Slider Jigs

w/ plastics.

I've considered the jig-n-pig but never get my timing down to put them to good use. Keep a tight line and keep it

simple have to be the best wisdom I can carry with me that's not in my wading vest. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
mike you showed me the new big craws. i'm surprised they are not sponsored by red lobster.

:lol: Good point, rich. They very well could be. They do catch some fish, though!

He's coming out with a snake this summer. I can't wait to give that a try!

Guest rich mc

do you use the snake to scare other anglers out of your favorite spot? i did pick up a booyah 1/8 from ken d today. another im going to try is the salmo bullhead and hornet crankbaits . rich

do you use the snake to scare other anglers out of your favorite spot? i did pick up a booyah 1/8 from ken d today. another im going to try is the salmo bullhead and hornet crankbaits . rich

>>>....salmo bullhead and hornet crankbaits.<<<

Smallies love 'em.