ISA Fly Tying & Fishing Show 1/21/12

NEW

View the full program (PDF download): ISA_fly_show_program.pdf

flyshow.gif

More to follow:

Dan Basore will have a Helen Shaw display plus more historical material. Bring your vintage gear, flies & lures for ID & value.

Eric from Coren's Rod & Reel will have rod building info & the schedule for his bamboo rod building classes.

Raffle (so far):

Fly Depot - Diamondback Glass 8' 4wt. 3pc. rod.

Guidelines - New switch rod kit, 7/8 wt. rod, reel, sink tip line.

Trout & Grouse - Sage 1600 series reel.

Coren's Rod & Reel - Simm's Verticle fly vest.

• 2 weeks later...

ISA members, whether fly fisherman or not, please come out and support this ISA event.

I'm sure that we'll be able to use some extra help with the show as well as just having your support of being there.

thanks,

Cory

I want to congratulate John Loebach for organizing a terrific event. Everybody seemed to be having a good time, including the Girl Scouts. I ended up consuming a significant number of home made brownies and cookies that were sold by the Girl Scouts.

Joe Cornwall's presentation on fishing for carp was interesting and entertaining. Thanks to everyone that helped.

About 100+ paid attendance plus 40 volunteers & vendors. Thats a little less than I hoped for but we received great comments on the quality of the presentation. That & people stayed & visited all the participants - that makes me beleive we are onto something. Quality trumps size & if we do this annually I think size will grow steadily. Prior to this the biggest turnout for a tying event was 30 to 40 at a flies of the ISA or 65 to 70 at last falls Cast & Compare. Iwill repeat Thank You, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all who came, worked & enjoyed the First ISA FLY Show!

did the attendees buy from the vendors? As a vendor, there is a big difference between good, quality attendees and good, quality, attendees who actually buy from the vendors. I have been to many shows where folks just stop by the booth and "talk fishin'" and never buy a thing. Those folks are ok to have, but you need some folks who actually make a purchase. If you want to keep vendors coming back to your show or any show, the vendors have to make at least enough money to break even. I have been to many shows where the vendors just did not sell enough to make it worth it to them to come back the following year. I know you did not charge your vendors much money for booth space, but vendors often have other expenses.

I am not trying to "rain on your parade". I think it is great that we now have a fly show in IL. I was just wondering as I only do a few shows a year and I try to go to the best shows with the most "bang" for my buck.

John G, I think this is a chicken and egg situation. If you don't have several vendors initially, fully understanding that they won't make much the first year or two, then you will never have an increasing attendence from which you will have numerous buyers later on. These things take time to build. But after seeing what Indy can do after only a couple years, and remembering some of the big fly shows in the past at Chicago, the interest and $ are there. Patience.

• 2 weeks later...