Inspiration for a fly that will likely scare off most fish

Rob G

Fish in the Chicago area will try to murder this fly. Don't fish it south of Springfield. Down there the fish will just bow in adoration not considering themselves worthy to touch it.

This fish today must have been a Texas fan. Caught only three smaller fish using it all afternoon. I would say all singles and no home runs for sure. Names that have been suggested are the "Pujols Popper", the "Fredbird fly" or the "Fat Albert" Anyway, I think he's going into storage until next year's spring training.

Oh, and John I grew up listening to Jack Buck and Harry Carey announcing each night's game on my too cool transistor radio, often sitting and fishing on the banks of the Sangamon river as a boy.

020-1.jpg?t=1319943294

Harry broadcasting for the cards is a little before my time, but my dad and I used to sit outside in the yard and listen to Jack Buck each and every day and night. My dad does have records (lps) of the 1964 and 1967 season when Jack and Harry were at the mike. It is very cool to listen to those records when you can find a working record player. When Jack passed, my mother called me and asked if I was handling it ok. Jack is one of my idol's. I am very dissapointed that my son, Jack, will never have the pleasure of listening to Jack call a game on the radio.

When I was about 16 years old, and my buddy got his own car, we spent countless nights in the old Busch stadium since we lived so close and tickets were so cheap. One evening after the game, I ran into Jack Buck outside and we chatted for a short time and he was quite the gentleman. Left with a very favorable impression of the man. Ran into Harry one evening as well but by then he had already had few too many and from what I heard that was not uncommon.

When I was a youngster in the 60s ,I remember going to bed at night ,and dad having the ballgame on the radio in my parents bedroom. Jack and Harry were calling the game. The signal was in and out as we were so far north of KMOX radio, but I would strain my ears to hear the game. That is how I became a Cardinal fan, surrounded by Cubs, Sox, and Yankee fans. Mike Shannon was a player back then and I recall that he almost had to give up ball because of a kidney operation. It hit me pretty hard when Jack passed away. His voice was a part of every summer for almost as long as I could remember.

Rob, really nice fly and congrats on a great team this year. Considering it caught fish I would consider "Freese Fish Fooler" or "David's Dunker"

I know those suck but my creative juices ain't flowing tonight.

John:

Not getting KMOX on the dial was a problem for dad and I also. We lived in NW IL and the signal varied. We would often drive around out in the country looking for that perfect hill where we could hear the game. Then we would just pull over, eat some food, and listen to the whole game.....................times I will never forget. I don't think kids have the patience to listen to a whole game anymore. I know my son can watch a game on TV, but he could not make it one inning on the radio.

Not to throw water on the Cardinal's (playoff) success(were I a fan I'd be celebrating too)but this is the 2nd time in the last few years that they've won the championship despite clearly being inferior to the other playoff entrants.The trend over the last few decades of allowing inferior "wild card"teams into the post season in baseball & football along with almost everybody in hockey & basketball has rendered the regular seasons in professional sports largely meaningless.Where would the justice have been had the '85 Bears happened to have had a bad day against some wild card team? But who says life is fair.

Ron, inferiority is all relative. Now they let 8 teams into the playoffs, 2 being wildcards. There is some merit in the fact that a second place team in a really strong division that receives the wild card could easily have a better record than the other two division winners. When I was younger, you only had 4 teams go in and way back there, only 2 teams were in. Of course there are a lot more teams now but I do agree with you and hope they never make it like hockey and basketball where almost everyone enters the playoffs. BTW, Inferior teams don't normally win in a best of 7 format and that's why it's done that way, to reduce the chances of a lucky game by a poorer team. Anyway, I'm enjoying it because I get the sense that Albert is playing somewhere else next year.

Rob

The reason I was pulling for Texas is that what normally doesn't happen not only has happened now twice in the last few years but the beneficiary of that happening has been the same team.Having said that the Cards have always been my favorite National League team deserving of the utmost respect for having over the course of their history a record 2nd only to one team in all of baseball despite not being a "big market" team.And being a White Sox fan if they ever play the cubs in the playoffs I'll be wearing Cardinal red no matter the circumstances.

Red, Whitey, and now Larussa gone. :( Who will the Cards pick up to run the show? That job would sure have its pluses and minuses wouldn't it.

We gotta accept what we can't change. Now, getting back to the fly, send Tony out with class by sending him some of those Cardinal Flies to fish with during his retirement.

Fred, you gotta like Ryne, always a class act but don't have a clue if he can coach at the big league level. He always seemed like an astute player though. Any chance he would bring that damn Billy Goat Curse with him ? :o

Tony's big shoes are going to be tough to fill. Just since 2000, 8 play off runs, 3 World series, 2 championships.

And for those that would rather tune here for Cardinals gossip and news rather than going to ESPN, long time pitcher Bob Forsch 61 died today suddenly due to an aneurysm. Always a clutch pitcher who thought his way thru a game, he pitched like 15 years with the Cards. I can't tell you how many games I saw him throw when I was younger but he was another class act. Just threw out the opening pitch in game 7 last week. Sad stuff.

• 2 weeks later...