Favorite Plastics

Guest Don R

I selected my top three by picking three baits that I would give someone that was new to river smallie fishing.

#1- Yum Crawbug 2.5"/green pumpkin on a 1/16 oz. slider head rigged weadless

#2- Exude 2 3/4" Twister Mite(Hellgrammite type bait)/watermelon seed 1/16 oz. long shank ball head jig

#3- Storm WildEye SwimShad 2"/ shad color

The first two are no brainers, the third I've enjoyed using on the kank. and other rivers when you have decent visibility.

Hey Mark,

Where do you find the Paca Craw? The website doesn't show any Illinois dealers and no way to purchase on-line.

Gregg

================================================================================

=

Hi Gregg,

Bass Pro Shops has them in their newest Master Catalog. I suspect you might be able to find them at local dealers also. I live in Central Illinois and I know of at least 3 dealers who stock them in this area. Watermelon Candy is my favorite color. The Papa Chunks are nice too.

Mark

Gregg, Strictly Fishing, site of a future Chicagoland ISA meeting has them.

Good calls Mark and Dick. Thanks for the post Tim and others.

Over the last few years my top three have been the 2.5" Yum crawbug in green pumpkin or carolina pumpkin, 2" Case helgie in chartreuse/pumpkin and the Berkley power bait 3" grub in pumpkinsed or black.

Any others out there?

Don R

Crap- I almost forgot about the "CB Lures" I and others have been using.

I believe the guy who pours them is a friend of Rich?

He makes a killer Power Leech copy (which are no longer produced by Berkley).

Also some fantastic Sweet Beaver imitations.

Not sure if he ever did get his website up yet.

I use soft plastics quite a lot and although I don't have one exact favorite, I do like sinking type baits the best. Most of them are shaped like a 4" Senko, although I have so many of the knock-offs I usually have no idea exactly which brand of plastic I have tied on at any one time. They all work pretty much the same and so far I still haven't found one color that I prefer over another. I do have to say that the water must be pretty clear for them to work. 99% of the time, I'm in clear(ish) water, so I tend to stick with them a lot.

If I had to choose one over the rest, I'd probably stick with the Case Magic Stick. They're more durable that the senko and cost a lot less. They aren't made as "pretty" as most of the competion, but I know the bass don't care.