Extinction of Fly Fishing

mattyvac

if the spin fisherman starts to buy Lucky Craft Jerk baits that cost twelve to fifteen dollars. I use both spinning tackle and fly rods, but I wouldn't spend fifteen dollars for jerk bait that I could lose in a flash any more than I would spend $700 for a fly rod.

Where do you find lucky craft jerkbaits for twelve dollars?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

THIS THREAD IS TOTALLY UNFAIR AND BIASED!!!!

Continuing to refer to RonK's age, crankiness, stubbornness, etc. is completely uncalled for and I say it should be deleted.

(All the other stuff is ok.)

THIS THREAD IS TOTALLY UNFAIR AND BIASED!!!!

Continuing to refer to RonK's age, crankiness, stubbornness, etc. is completely uncalled for and I say it should be deleted.

(All the other stuff is ok.)

jealously will get you no where

I accidentally misspell Jonn and get singled out for it. I guess at my age I should be forgiven for one indiscretion. Jonn Graham is a fine angler with whatever he uses and I am sure he is a inspiration to a lot of young people who attend his Camp Smallmouth to learn the art of Fishing For Smallmouth Bass.

I read Joe's lengthy article.I'm not sure what to make of it.My concern is for the future possible extinction of fishing period when I see so few kids interested in spending time outdoors today other than maybe shooting a few hoops in their driveways. Why experience the outdoors when there's a WII game that lets you simulate it all w/o leaving the comfort & safety of your living room while all the while pointlessly texting & eating junk food.As an alternative for some hands on adventure there's always The Mall.

As for flyfishing itself, the advent of spinfishing in the 50's rendered it(along with baitcasting) a minority pursuit.If it were to become extinct it would've happened then.Following The Movie leading to a big increase in ffing it was to be expected that a good nummber who came to the sport as a result were dilletantes.Tennis enjoyed such a short time boom in the 70's.While it's unfortunate that mom & pop flyshops have closed the reasons have to do with factors other than a drop in ffing interest & more to do with big box & especially catalog/online competition.Why go to a shop that may or may not have everything you need in stock when you can pu the phone or go online & be assured it's all there & will be at your door in a few days sometimes sans shipping or sales tax costs.

Re ffing magazines I dropped my subscritions to all but Midwest Flyfishing years ago primarily because after awhile they became redundant which I think holds true for how to magazines such as In Fisherman also.There's only so much that can be said about how to catch a fish.Re equipment costs ffing equipment is necessarily more expensive due to lower volume of sales for profit support.That said I do think costs did get out of hand.I never understood why someone would spend over $500 for an Abel freshwater flyreel for example.By the way I see you can now drop many hundreds $ on a spinning reel too.The ffing mfring industry has introduced more economical equipment recently & that trend will only continue.There have always been low cost beginners outfits available as an equipment base for anyone who wishes to advance to a higher level if they become engaged in the sport.If not little money's been lost.

Finally I think that while ffing is of course part of the picture Joe overstates its importance to the health of the environment in his last paragraph.Most who belong to organizations such as Audubon,Sierra Club,Nature Conservancy etc & for that matter the ISA don't flyfish.

Pretty good response Ron.

Folks, everyone spells my name wrong!! Even my relatives spell it wrong. Does not offend me at all. When people ask my name, I don't even bother to tell them how to spell it.............easier to just let them spell it how they want. I got more important things to think about...............like smallies.

No problem Gary.

I wasn't singling you out Gary! I spelled his name wrong for years before I figured it out! There are still many that spell it wrong.

In fact I don't recall even seeing you spell his name wrong.

OK, you go first Don. Delete the irrelevant post about spelling Jonn's name that sidetracked this whole discussion. I will unravel what I can from there. Say when you are done.

This kind of stuff is actually funny on Facebook, where there are no rules and people expect to be brow-beaten.

These archaic message boards are way too serious for my tastes. You guys actually mean what you say.

Y'all are just plumb crazy, IMHO.

WOW.

Yeah, but you all take every little thing literally here.

Is there really such a division between spin and fly anglers that it's worthy of beating the crap out of each other over it?

If so....hang on while I cozy up on the couch with the laptop and a bag of popcorn and follow along.

This is better entertainment than I've seen in a long time- because you guys actually take it to heart! That's the best freakin' part of it all!

:lol:

Guest Don R

I've been called everything you can think of in the last week and enjoyed every minute of it.

Sorry to hear that Mike. I hope it gets better for you soon!

OK, this is all about humor. Though I did not know it them, Don was joking about himself as the one who spelled Jonn's name incorrectly. Unfortunately Gary took it more seriously. Jonn leveled the deck by pointing out his lifetime of patience living with other spellings. I sympathize because both my first name and my last name have been butchered all my lifetime too. :)

Mike G also has a sense of humor. Don says I look like Yoda. That brings a smile to my face :) since it is the only role in Star Wars that I could ever play. Ironically I kind of like that character-not much to look at but a Jedi Master anyway. I guess all I need is the green makeup and a light saber. My hair is about right though I would need a lot of special effects to look like a master.:)

More humor, I hope I am better with a light saber than I am with a fly rod. I still haven't mastered that force. :)

PS I think I have cleaned up my posts.

How about me? :D

I guess if anyone has witnessed firsthand my journey into the fly fishing world, it has been Don. Come to think of it, Norm, you're right, I am a negative, whiny rat bastard sometimes!

Its been well worth the struggles that come with being on the learning curve. I truly enjoy the challenges.

Steve,

It sounds like you have a great story just like Jonn's. Jonn was more public since his posts covered going from watching clients fly fish to picking it up himself. Since he was already tying jigs, he made the transition into fly tying easily. You say a lot when you say you enjoy the challenges.

I appreciate your sense of humor too.

Guest Don R

Mike G also has a sense of humor. Don says I look like Yoda. PS I think I have cleaned up my posts.

Yoda? I know not what you speak of. Yoda is a good looking Jedi. :P

• 3 weeks later...

But if you tie all your own flies its really not a whole lot more expensive than spin fishing.

This is what I first thougt as well, but wow, was I ever wrong. I've spent enough money on tying materials over the years that I could have afforded that Chilean helicopter fishing expedition.

This is what I first thougt as well, but wow, was I ever wrong. I've spent enough money on tying materials over the years that I could have afforded that Chilean helicopter fishing expedition.

We are back to where we started here. Money talks.

First, it is claimed that your typical fly fishing magazine presents fly fishing as an exotic art precticed in exotic locations with $2000 rod-reel line outfits. The cost of tackle is no object because the trip will cost $20,000 to $30,000 anyway. Many magazines do that putting the image of fly fishing beyond the economic reach of average Joe angler.

On the other hand, I can fish for panfish with my father's Wonderod, a soup can reel, and a level Crystal River fly line. I just did; it's fun. I do not expect to see something like that written up in a fly magazine. So we are back to the bias of magazines which flows to the money across the boards. When was the last time you saw an article on using a Zebco outfit to present red worms for gills.

I love tying and tend to spend more than I need to to make flies I do not need. But I hope no-one gets the impression that one needs a lot of exotic exprensive materials to tye flies that catch fish. It does not have to cost a lot.

We are back to where we started here. Money talks.

First, it is claimed that your typical fly fishing magazine presents fly fishing as an exotic art precticed in exotic locations with $2000 rod-reel line outfits. The cost of tackle is no object because the trip will cost $20,000 to $30,000 anyway. Many magazines do that putting the image of fly fishing beyond the economic reach of average Joe angler.

On the other hand, I can fish for panfish with my father's Wonderod, a soup can reel, and a level Crystal River fly line. I just did; it's fun. I do not expect to see something like that written up in a fly magazine. So we are back to the bias of magazines which flows to the money across the boards. When was the last time you saw an article on using a Zebco outfit to present red worms for gills.

I love tying and tend to spend more than I need to to make flies I do not need. But I hope no-one gets the impression that one needs a lot of exotic exprensive materials to tye flies that catch fish. It does not have to cost a lot.

Where do you come up with some of the misinformation you post on this site? If you really believe that trip costs $20-30,000 I've got a Zebco outfit & a can of worms I'll let you have for $1995.

Pay no attention to the mags. I started off with a kind of cheap starter outfit from Cortland ($120.oo)

I have up graded to the Cortland combo which I purchased from Brad Miller @ flybass.com http://www.flybass.biz/products/Cortland-Fly-Fishing-Outfit-%252d-Advanced-Level-Outfit.html

I love it and think that's about as much as I need. Now I know a few folks out there will think that statement is foolish but here's the way I see it.........

My grandfather (who passed away when I was 1) was a fly fisherman here in the midwest back in the 50's. I'm sure my gear is a bit better than what

he had, well I know it is as I still have his reel and still use it from time to time.

The mags are focused on the fly by night fly fisherman. It's like a fast food thing.

The mags are focused on the fly by night fly fisherman. It's like a fast food thing.

I would claim the mags are only focused on who pays the bills >>>======> the advertisers. Btw, would someone please help me understand how the newest Winston Boron rod at $800 is going to improve my casting technique? That must be one forgiving rod :)

Where do you come up with some of the misinformation you post on this site? If you really believe that trip costs $20-30,000 I've got a Zebco outfit & a can of worms I'll let you have for $1995.

Take a deep breath, Ron. What is the right price for a one week New Zealand trout fishing trip first class all the way, plane, accomodations, meals, guide service, and access to prime water in prime season?