Lefty's Bug Largemouth Version

Mike G

After posting Lefty's Blockhead, I realized that I did not have any versions of Lefty's original. I fixed that by tying up a few including this Largemouth version.

DSCF0158.jpg

For largemouth bass, Lefty recommends just a larger version of his Bug with the addition of rubber legs to give it some action in relatively quiet waters. I do not have any really long squirrel tail; so I used guard hairs from a piece of coyote hide for the tail to get a total bug length of 3.5 inches. I fought off the temptation to add frills like hackle collar, eyes, and fancy finishes so the bug would be true to the original.

I like the look of the coyote tail.

Mike,

you have to let us know how those work out vs. the more modern, high glamor and sophisticated poppers. You've just about convinced me to put together a few of those no frills poppers just to see how they perform, now excuse me while I get back in the car and go find a roadkill squirrel.

003-3.jpg?t=1298930137

Oh, I so badly want to slap some eyes, gills, and flash on this thing. Couldn’t find a dead squirrel but did find a road kill deer for white tail fibers.

Alright Mike, I challenge you to a Lefty Duel. First one this season that takes a bass, largemouth or smallmouth on his no frills Lefty Popper buys the other one a beverage of his choice. This “Austerity Popper Challenge” will of course be on the honor system but a photo is needed with popper in mouth for verification. Anyone else want in on this action?

And no, it's not a marshmallo.

Mike, can you explain the difference between the largemouth and the smallmouth version?

"For largemouth bass, Lefty recommends just a larger version of his Bug with the addition of rubber legs to give it some action in relatively quiet waters." That covers it.

That largemouth popper is about 1/4 the size I normally use for smallies when I am fishing a topwater casting plug.

It is kinda academic here. Traditionally the Smallmouth version would be about 2-3" long on a #4 long shank hook. The Largemouth version would be 3-4" long on a 1/0 long shank hook. Personally I would use the bigger fly for both Smallmouths and Largemouths since the fish are not as fussy as the fishermen when it comes to size. Big fly big fish.

You say that popper you use is 4 times larger than the 3.5" Bug. Are you using a 14" popper for Smallmouths? Go for it!

Alright Mike, I challenge you to a Lefty Duel. First one this season that takes a bass, largemouth or smallmouth on his no frills Lefty Popper buys the other one a beverage of his choice. This “Austerity Popper Challenge” will of course be on the honor system but a photo is needed with popper in mouth for verification. Anyone else want in on this action?

And no, it's not a marshmallo.

It's an earplug, right?

The Deul sounds interesting, but I want to change the rules. We are on the honor system. It is no more possible to be half honorable, than it is to be half pregnant. I will not hold you to the photo requirement as you are an honorable person. Besides it is too easy to fake the photo by sticking the bug in a bass's mouth no matter what you caught it on. Can you reciprocate? Next let's make it an honorable fish. By that I mean one that measures as the Pros say, 14 inches. That OK?

Another problem for me is the weather cycle. I live and fish near the Wisconsin boarder about 200 miles north of Champaign. In terms of seasonal warmup that is about two weeks difference. I will not see a solid topwater bite till the beginning of June while I suspect that will come 2 weeks earlier down south. I will have to live with giving you that head start, I guess.

I like the idea of inviting other guys to join the duel though technically it won't be a duel anymore. We have to call it a shootout. I am looking forward to comparing the performance of this no frills bug to that of my more frilly bugs by alternating bugs every half hour or so.

Rob

Despite what you might hear on this subject bigger is not necessarily better.If it were there'd be no reason for the long established practice among ffing greats like Lefty of downsizing smb flies vs lmb flies vs pike flies vs musky flies vs marlin flies etc.Instead the prevailing advice would be to almost always use the biggest fly you can manage regardless of the species.For every instance of a 6" fish trying to eat a 6" meal there are many of a big fish being caught on a pinhead minnow by some crappie fisherman.They prove nothing.That being said I do generally prefer larger flies within the range of the warmwater species being sought.Too many ffers restrict themselves to trout size flies usually because they aren't able to comfortably cast bigger ones.

Mike

If you wait til June you'll miss out on some fun topwater fishing earlier in the season.Topwater can be affective once the water gets into the 50's usually in April or at the latest early May.I start trying it when the bass I catch start to regularly jump during the fight.

Mike,

Sounds great, 14" or better to play. Although for me that means I'm probably looking at a LMB since rivers down here can be hit or miss during the earlier part of the season due to flooding. How about we start May 1 to even things up due to latitude differences though if you get something sooner, please post. BTW, the only reason I asked for photo verification is not that I doubted one's honor but rather I just like seeing classic fish photos with the fly attached but hanging on the outside of mouth. No photo necessary to play. Also I like the idea of the Lefty Shootout vs. the Duel since always the more the merrier.

Ron,

I had my best fish of the year on last early April using a white pencil popper. Didn't get to measure her since on the second wonderful water clearing leap, she spit it back at me. I too was surprised how early they would hit on a topwater.

Rob,

thanks for going along with me. The May 1 date levels the field and gives us something like the WI Opener to look forward to. Now watch, based on what ron says, we will all be busting Smallmouths on April 1st.

I will make reasonable efforts to secure photos now that I am aware of your adiction to Bass Nosecandy.

Here's one to tide you over. Recognize the bug? The tagline is worth a thousand pictures.

LeftyBugClouser.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mike, I guess this "bass" won't count will it? No smallies and only had one small largemouth on this afternoon.

026.jpg?t=1300757148

Rich,

Calico Bass were not mentiond in the original contest. But bass is bass, as they say. You would have won with this one after May 1 if this critter was over 14 inches. Stay on the hunt, bubba.

Yours in the 400 Spoonplug,

• 2 months later...

I claim the prize. This morning, June 2, 2011, 5:30 AM CDT, I caught a 17" Largemouth on a 1/0 Chartreuse Lefty's Bug. I got a picture that I will put up once I get it hosted.

DSCF0208.jpg

I admit this isn't the best photo-fish in one hand, camera in the other. Now I know what they mean about the one armed wallpaper hanger. The Bug is not visible because the bass engulfed it.

Rob,

What size is that bug you made? I am surprised you are getting so many crappie.

Mike,

mine is tied on a Mustad popper kink shank hook, 33903, size 4, total length is about 3". I've got it now in all white, all black and all olive so we'll see how they do as the water clarity gets better and water temps heat up.

Mike,

mine is tied on a Mustad popper kink shank hook, 33903, size 4, total length is about 3". I've got it now in all white, all black and all olive so we'll see how they do as the water clarity gets better and water temps heat up.

Rob,

Clouser's book on flies has a nice formula for poppers it starts with his E-Z pop but it also works on Lefty's Bug. I built my Lefty Bugs by eye based on what looked right for me. Surprisingly they fit Clouser's formula. Assuming you are using a foam cllinder, the diameter of the cylinder should be equal to the gap of the hook. The foam body should be equal to 1/2 of the shank length of the hook. The hooks I use with 1/2" diameter foam cylinders come from an assortment I got from Herter's about 40-50 Years ago. The shank is long enough that 1/2 of a stock 1.5 inch cylinder (3/4 inches) works. I bought some of those Mustads because they are said to go with Blockheads. In my eye they look small though they would work with Clouser's formula.

I will not comment on color. Buck sez, "The priorities in presentation are depth, speed, size, color, action."