Need an easy anchoring system for my canoe?

Rob G

I would really like to install an easy to use anchoring system for my 14 ft Wenonah canoe, maybe one that I can crank up and down easily while sitting by myself in the stern. Does anyone have a sytem that is easy to install and works well when you are solo? Any photos would be great. And as always, thanks for your input.

Rob,

Here is the gadget that you need. Just add a rope and anchor.

dnc63181_general.jpg

It keeps it simple for a canoe. I mount one of these on a piece of wood that sticks out over the bow or stern to keep the anchor from banging the canoe. The gadget has a clip that the rope passes through so that you can operate it one handed. Or you can bypass that and just tie off to a thwart.

Source

Long ago a C-clamp version was popularized by Fishing Facts since so many guys fished from rented boats that had primative anchoring systems. Hope you can find one closer by.

I would really like to install an easy to use anchoring system for my 14 ft Wenonah canoe, maybe one that I can crank up and down easily while sitting by myself in the stern. Does anyone have a sytem that is easy to install and works well when you are solo? Any photos would be great. And as always, thanks for your input.

Rob G, I have an easy to use canoe anchor from Piragis catalog from Ely MN. It's not automatic, but convenient.

Les Balick

Thanks for the quick replies.

Norm, I like that one but would a crank be overkill since I would rarely let out more than 6 ft of rope. It would be nice but I hate drilling too many holes in the canoe, wonder if I could mount both crank and pulley on a board and find a way to attach it to the canoe for temporary use as needed?

Mike, thanks for the links. I notice the Anchor Pulley had a ton of poor reviews saying that the spring is weak and breaks very quickly. Others said the spring wasn't even needed? Any personal use with that one? The other Cabela's one, which I guess is a rebadged Scotty, seems to have better reviews. Also, you say you mounted it to a board so it could be extended out back and not allow the anchor to continually bump into the canoe, how did you attach the board to the canoe itself?

Les, searched their catalog but couldn't find what you were referring to.

Jonn's right. He's got a system that works nicely on my canoe. Bass Pro has the devise, and I mounted it on the canoe with one hole drilled in stern of the canoe, otherwise just held on with a bracket. It depends to some extent upon what style canoe you have.

Rob,

You guessed right. The spring is not necessary. The gadget I have never had a spring and works fine.

Also, though those Worth systems are nice, mounting a reel like that for short lengths of rope is probably overkill. The ratcheting reel is noisy too from my experience using one.

A picture is worth 1000 words.Here are some pictures of the custom aircraft grade knotty pine anchor boom for my homemade canoe. It is about 2 feet long made out of 1" X 4" genuine scrap. Since my gadget is stored with my jon boat and the canoe is also stored, you will have to use some imagination. The boom sits on top of triangular wooden deck plate at the bow or sterm ofthe canoe.

IMG_0004.jpg

From left to right, at the tapered end, barely visible are the two wood screws that hold on the anchor pulley in place. The blue tape "<" shows about where the tip of the canoe would be. A 2 1/2" hex bolt passes through the boom and canoe deck and is fastened underneath with a wing nut. I used an appropriate flat washer on both sides to distribute the load. The second hole works on the other end of the canoe.

BOTTOM

IMG_0005.jpg

You can see the wing nut and the washer here. On the right end-squared end, a 1/2 x 1" strip of wood is nailed on. It rests against the back edge of the deck plate to keep the boom from wobbling.

I also have a Wenonah. If your Wenonah is like mine the boom would not work as is. Mine has a small deck plate. About a foot back is a short carrying thwart. The boom could be installed on the Wenonah by drilling a hole through the deck plate for the bolt and fastening the rear of the boom to the carrying thwart with one or two u-bolts.

Is that a u-bolt? no it's a belong to someone else!

Jonn's right. He's got a system that works nicely on my canoe. Bass Pro has the devise, and I mounted it on the canoe with one hole drilled in stern of the canoe, otherwise just held on with a bracket. It depends to some extent upon what style canoe you have.

Fred,

Any chance you could give us a link to the device on Bass Pro on line? Though I am not in the market I want to be ready if my gadget breaks.

Thanks.

Rob, I used a simple open type rope cleat in my Kyak. It's a little different position (center). I attach two small diameter clothesline ropes with the small workout dumb bells front 2lb and rear 3lb. The ropes go through the end rope handle carriers and I can lower either or both anchor weights and weave and lock them through the open rope cleat. A link to the one I have is @ cabelas. I have the cheaper nylon one. I used my Pop rivet gun to mount it to the Kyak. The link is :

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=the+rope+cleat&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Thanks for the good E Central tyers meeting last night. Had a great time.

Fred,

Any chance you could give us a link to the device on Bass Pro on line? Though I am not in the market I want to be ready if my gadget breaks.

Thanks.

Here's a link to a Bass Pro system, but it's slightly different that what I have. Mine is enclosed, but this is basically the same mechanism, and this one is a couple of bucks less expensive.http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops%C2%AE-Locking-Anchor-Control-System/product/82165/-268836

Steve Jordan has these on both bow and stern, and there is a picture out there somewhere showing them.